What is your Favorite "Root" vegetable?

halljams

• Members

Yeah, gotta be
onions
Garlic
is great, too. In San Francisco's North Beach district there is a restaurant called THE STINKING ROSE, in which every single entree and side-dish is seasoned with loads of garlic. Yummm!

Been there. Its great.

However, in Tokyo is a place that beats it by a mile when it comes to garlic. Its called Ninni-ku Ya. Literal translataion is "The garlic Shop".

You walk in and your eyes tear from the garlic in the air.

Its run by a bunch of wierd japanese hippies that play jazz all night on a turntable. You sit at long chinese rosewood tables- next to strangers.

They take a piece of french bread, turn it on its side, place an ice cream scoop of minced garlic drenched in olive oil on top put it in the broiler to brown it. When you take it out you mash all that garlic in to the bread with your chopsticks. Every dish is smothered in garlic. Thisngs are sauteed /braised at very high temp - so its still fresh on the inside.

Its pure garlic heaven.

Garlic: reduces your blood pressure, keeps mosquitos away, keeps vampires away (no potatoes dont do that) prevents all sorts of disease (or so they say), carries lots of minerals and it tastes great.

Garlic wins.

• Members

Garlic: reduces your blood pressure, keeps mosquitos away, keeps vampires away (no potatoes dont do that) prevents all sorts of disease (or so they say), carries lots of minerals and it tastes great.

Garlic wins.

That is a strong argument Ken, but i would have a hard time filling up on the stuff in a survival situation.

Thoughts?

• Members

That is a strong argument Ken, but i would have a hard time filling up on the stuff in a survival situation.

Thoughts?

Yeah. Garlic is an accessory - not a staple.

However, I thought you asked about "favorite" not "desert island survival mode root vegetable".

Having said that, on a desert island, i could probably manage to eat some boiled tree bark if it were smothered in garlic.:)

Otherwise i'd vote for a ruby red sweet potatoe.

• Members

Yeah. Garlic is an accessory - not a staple.

However, I thought you asked about "favorite" not "desert island survival mode root vegetable".

Having said that, on a desert island, i could probably manage to eat some boiled tree bark if it were smothered in garlic.
:)

Otherwise i'd vote for a ruby red sweet potatoe.

Yeah you are right, not sure how it turned into a contest.

'Damn! Shoulda done "Desert island survival root vegetable"! Now THAT woulda drawn em in.'

Archived