Which is a better deal? (Gibson Content)

amaleelake

• Members

{EDIT: The poll option for the 2008 should be for $700 NOT $800}

A 2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio for $600

-OR-

A 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio for $700?

I can't find it on Musicians Friend to check out the specs, but based on the pictures of both guitars (I found then on Craigslist) the body is all mahogany, it is not a burst of any kind, just a natural finish which allows you to see the wood really well, black tone and volume knobs, silver hardware. I have seen pictured of these guitars from forumites on here before so I am sure that you guys are farmiliar with the guitar.

So which do you think is a better deal? Is this particualr model even worth looking into?...

• Members

They both have the "Studio" inscription on the headstock, which makes this kind of confusing. I really don't see any "Studio" Gibson that looked like these did so they must be the VM model.

So have these VM models gotten decent ratings? Anyone own one?

• Members
They both have the "Studio" inscription on the headstock, which makes this kind of confusing. I really don't see any "Studio" Gibson that looked like these did so they must be the VM model.

So have these VM models gotten decent ratings? Anyone own one?

Yes, I own one, and it is completely amazing! Don't believe that you have to have a maple cap to get great LP tone. The VM comes with Burstbucker Pro pickups, which are the same pups they put in a LP Standard. I demoed them both, and honestly, the traditional pups in the regular Studio did not sound nearly as good.

They are $799 new from Musician's Friend. I picked mine up for $499 used at Guitar Center about a month ago. Just a great guitar, great tone, and plays like a champ. I didn't know if I would like the 50's neck (I'm a Fender guy), but I absolutely love it! And it is a Studio...just a different model Studio.

Some pics:

DSCF3083.jpg

DSCF3086.jpg

DSCF3082.jpg

Archived