Let me introduce you to my leetle friend. Boss RE-20

GAS Man

• Members

tony-montana-scarface-say-hello-to-my-li

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

First I'll tell you what I don't like about it. They're a little pricey but I got mine new off of ebay and saved a few bucks. Second the reverb on it is kinda like "Hall Reverb". Just sounds rather "Spacey" ergo "Space Echo".

So I don't think it would be a great reverb source for an amp that didn't have reverb, but dialing in a little bit of this pedal's reverb works great for strengthening spring reverb on an amp where its own onboard reverb might be just a little bit weak.

What I'm loving about it:

Echo :D

Before I've just used delay built into amps, my Vox ToneLab or my RV-3. What I like about the RE-20 is that it's got more echo models and parameters to tweak.

First of all, it's not just one echo slap back, it simulates up to 3 tape heads. That doesn't just affect the number of repeats you hear, it actually adjusts the pattern of the repeat. Think of tapping your finger on your desk, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 with diminishing intensity, that's pretty much what most delays get you. But then think of tapping your fingers on you desk to emulate the sound of a horse's gallop 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc. I think that will give you an idea of the patterns you can set up because you dial in which of the 3 "heads" you want playing back and what sequence, like head, 1 & 2, or head 1, and 3, etc.

You can then also adjust the volume, bass and treble on just the echo repeats, so you can soften, deepen or highlight them as you wish. You can also emphasize the first echo or increase the intensity of the repeat echos.

Anyway, it's been a worthwhile new toy for someone like me who enjoys Rockabilly and more vintage tones. I know it's also got its Pink Floyd type applications, but I haven't gotten into that yet. So far I'm just enjoying getting to know what a good sounding echo unit is all about. Plenty of mixed reviews out there on this item though, so it's not everybody's COT. ;)

• Members

Wow, that's strange. Up until today I've never read anything about these, today got a Roland catalogue, saw this and thought that it might well be my next pedal, which is pretty special 'cause I'm not a pedal guy, I take a look at HCEG for the first time in a month, and here you are posting this :thu:. Congrats, can you update your thoughts when you're more familiar with it?

• Members

Wow, that's strange. Up until today I've never read anything about these, today got a Roland catalogue, saw this and thought that it might well be my next pedal, which is pretty special 'cause I'm not a pedal guy, I take a look at HCEG for the first time in a month, and here you are posting this
:thu:
. Congrats, can you update your thoughts when you're more familiar with it?

Sure, I could. I've had it around for a couple weeks now, but just play as a hobbyist. So I come back around to it every few days or so. I've already gone through the initial WTF! :confused: & :eek: phases with this toy. But now that I've figured out a bit what works best for my ears (multiple tape heads) and not so much (the reverb) I can just sit down and start playing through it and just think it sounds cool :cool:.

The down side though is that I don't think I'll be able to ever as whole heatedly recommend my old discontinued Boss Reverb/Delay RV-3 with as much enthusiasm as I used to. This RE-20 rig just gives you so much more room to accentuate and tailor the echo effect. Although the RV-3 still has great plate reverb and good digital delay (more effective when used without the reverb used simultaneously), but it's just so limited in tone and cadence compared to this unit.

• Members
Sure, I could. I've had it around for a couple weeks now, but just play as a hobbyist. So I come back around to it every few days or so. I've already gone through the initial WTF!
:confused:
&
:eek:
phases with this toy. But now that I've figured out a bit what works best for my ears (multiple tape heads) and not so much (the reverb) I can just sit down and start playing through it and just think it sounds cool
:cool:

The down side though is that I don't think I'll be able to ever as whole heatedly recommend my old discontinued Boss Reverb/Delay RV-3 with as much enthusiasm as I used to. This RE-20 rig just gives you so much more room to accentuate and tailor the echo effect. Although the RV-3 still has great plate reverb and good digital delay (more effective when used without the reverb used simultaneously), but it's just so limited in tone and cadence compared to this unit.

Sounds pretty cool. I might try one, but I'm actually pretty fond of the simple set-up I have now. Just some reverb and tremolo from my DRRI is all I really want, but some guitarists do great things with a delay pedal, so I'd like to try a good one, I also have a ToneLab, but I didn't use the delay on that one.

• Members

Hey GAS Man, what would you say are the key differences between this and full-featured delay pedals such as the DD-20 or DD4? I am looking for more echo for my Twin, but when I tried this in the store, it was really, really, really out there. I was thinking about just picking up a Holy Grail Plus, but it seems like these have a ton more functionality.

• Members

Awesome, our Bassist has one of those things. Super cool pedal, some pretty wild oscillation effects aswell. Things I've never heard the origionals quite pull of either. I have an RE-101 and RE-201 (the 101 needing a new tape actually, so it's kinda not in the loop at the moment :cry:) Still, i prefer the sound of the origional tape units- even if they are quite high maintainance.

• Members

Hey GAS Man, what would you say are the key differences between this and full-featured delay pedals such as the DD-20 or DD4? I am looking for more echo for my Twin, but when I tried this in the store, it was really, really, really out there. I was thinking about just picking up a Holy Grail Plus, but it seems like these have a ton more functionality.

I haven't tried those. Just my RV-3, and I think I bought a DD-6 for my son, plus my Valvetronix units.

But as I mentioned above, this unit simulates 3 tape heads and you hear original signal plus a sequence of 3 heads that can each be turned on or off based on which "mode" you select. so it's like O+1/0+1/0+1/0......... (with "O" for original and the 1/0 meaning on/off for the following 3 simulated tape heads) and then it repeats. So it creates a cadence of repeats that you tailor, like a drum beat that can be 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3; or 1 and 3, 1, and, 3.....; or 1,2,and, 1,2 and..... or and, 2, 3, and, 2, 3. Plus echo just seems a bit softer than digital delay. Depending upon what you're going for, that's not always a good thing.

and as far as it originally hitting you as "really out there", you need to back off (or even don't use at all) the real spacey reverb (I like to use a little for the Blues Junior it's hooked up to now to boost that reverb just a bit) and also tread very lightly on the "intensity". The intensity, if I'm understanding the instructions correctly, increases the intensity of the successive echo beats. Since it sounds more natural for echo to die off, I have that control set anywhere at or below 11:00

• Members

Okay, thanks. I'll check it out again next time I'm in town.

Yeah, just try it out without the reverb in the store, since there's too much going on with that pedal to evaluate it in that setting. And keep the "intensity" on the low side, and you'll get a good idea of whether or not it's something you'd like. So flip through the modes that don't have reverb added in and let me know what you think. :thu:

• Members

Okay... found one that will be $150 plus $12 shipping with the Live.com thing. Should I hit it without trying it?

The thick echo I'm looking for is similar to that in "Neptune's Net," if you could have a listen

I'll have to listen to that some more when I get home from work and see if I can get those tones.

Off the top off my head I was thinking I'd had to full heartedly recommend that pedal to someone because I see the reviews are quite mixed. All I know is it's working for me.

• Members

Okay, I listened to the clip and my opinion (with 3 gins in me by this time of night - reported only for the reader's benefit as a "caveat") - is heck yeah it can do that tone.

But what I'm hearing on that clip is an echo that the RE-20 could easily replicate, but I'm also hearing a rotary effect.

And I took a look and I paid $213 + free shipping off of ebay (+ they tossed me a 10' cable which turned out to be Radio Shack quality) -

so if you can get one for $162, I'd say go for it. You'll just have to add a rotary or chorus effect if you want to completely nail that tone in the clip.

And P.S. Thanks for the kudos in that "other thread". Same to you. ;)

• Members
Okay, I listened to the clip and my opinion (with 3 gins in me by this time of night - reported only for the reader's benefit as a "caveat") - is heck yeah it can do that tone.

But what I'm hearing on that clip is an echo that the RE-20 could easily replicate, but I'm also hearing a rotary effect.

And I took a look and I paid $213 + free shipping off of ebay (+ they tossed me a 10' cable which turned out to be Radio Shack quality) -

so if you can get one for $162, I'd say go for it. You'll just have to add a rotary or chorus effect if you want to completely nail that tone in the clip.

And P.S. Thanks for the kudos in that "other thread". Same to you.
;)

Yeah, I think I'm going to hit it. I kind of forgot for a second that I plan on picking up my dream amp sometime within the next two years... Rocker 30, AKA sweet Orange with no reverb, so a pedal that can do everything from light reverb to psycho echo is perfect. :thu:

• Members
Yeah, I think I'm going to hit it. I kind of forgot for a second that I plan on picking up my dream amp sometime within the next two years... Rocker 30, AKA sweet Orange with no reverb, so a pedal that can do everything from light reverb to psycho echo is perfect.
:thu:

I've got this pedal and absolutely love it, but I don't think it's at all a good standalone reverb unit. The reverb is very cheesy (compared to my amp's spring reverb) unless used with the delay, where it combines to make the space echo sound. Just a word of caution, it's a really cool pedal and I don't want you to be disappointed, so maybe keep the expectations for the standalone reverb a bit low.

• Members

I've got this pedal and absolutely love it, but I don't think it's at all a good standalone reverb unit. The reverb is very cheesy (compared to my amp's spring reverb) unless used with the delay, where it combines to make the space echo sound. Just a word of caution, it's a really cool pedal and I don't want you to be disappointed, so maybe keep the expectations for the standalone reverb a bit low.

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. I ordered it last night. Wasn't eligible for the eBay 10%, but got the Live.com 25%.

• Members

Yeah, that's "echoing" my OP. Nice echo delay, but the reverb is just like a spacey hall type of reverb. Plate or spring reverb is my preferred "type". But if you use this reverb lightly, then adding a touch of echo can create a tone similar to the slap-back tone of spring reverb.

• Members

Ugh, still waiting on mine. I was watching the Boss demo by the crazy Swedish guy on their website and he actually gets a halfway decent chorus out of it. Have you tried that GAS?

No - I think the way you do that is by increasing the intensity of the repeats, which if I understand the instructions, it increases the volume of the successive tape head repeats (4 heads simulated). I've been going for more of a natural decay and avoiding the more extreme settings. But if you experiment around with that, you could probably get some cool Pink Floyd-esque tones. I've just been going for the Rockabilly tones.

:wave:

P.S. Hope you get yours soon. I'll be curious to see what you think of it. Mine scared me at first, but after I dialed it down a bit it made me a happy camper.

• Members
No - I think the way you do that is by increasing the intensity of the repeats, which if I understand the instructions, it increases the volume of the successive tape head repeats (4 heads simulated). I've been going for more of a natural decay and avoiding the more extreme settings. But if you experiment around with that, you could probably get some cool Pink Floyd-esque tones. I've just been going for the Rockabilly tones.

:wave:

P.S. Hope you get yours soon. I'll be curious to see what you think of it. Mine scared me at first, but after I dialed it down a bit it made me a happy camper.

I'm scared of about eight of the settings right now. I'm going to reread this thread and try to get a few more tips from you. For $162, it's definitely staying, I can already tell you that. :thu:

Archived