can any one recommend...

Strife333

• Members

a decent 12 string electric guitar? I'd like to play one to see if I would like. none of the guitar stores around me have any in stock to try out. I don't really want to invest a whole lot of money in case it turns out I hate it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

• Members

I got a Danelectro 12 string at a guitar show real cheap. The guy bought ten to the show and I bought the last one. I paid less than $200. Not sure what they usually go for, but it's a playable decent sounding 12 string. Is it a Rickenbacker? No way,probably wouldn't be real gig worthy, but you wouldn't pay much and it would introduce you to 12 stringing. I use it for recording with a Janglebox Compressor. The Janglebox really brings the Dano's lipstick pickups to life and it stays in tune reasonably well for recording.

• Members

I have one of these would be willing to part with it too for a pretty fair price, pm me if interested

IMAGE_00016.jpg

How close is the neck on this to a regular strat. For some reason i can't get on to well with strat necks.

Thanks for all the helps so far guys. I'd like to try to limit it to about $300. I don't know if I'm going to like it or even want to keep it so I'd rather not invest a lot of money.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dean (I think the Boca) 12 Strings? I think a hollow or semi hollow body would be the best to go with.

• Members

I didn't. It felt cheap. It looked nice from a distance, which is why I picked it up, but it disappointed. Either the Daisy Rock or the Dano were nicer. The Daisy is really nice but it has a narrow neck, and no jangle, so it's out for you.

• Members

I didn't. It felt cheap. It looked nice from a distance, which is why I picked it up, but it disappointed. Either the Daisy Rock or the Dano were nicer. The Daisy is really nice but it has a narrow neck, and no jangle, so it's out for you.

I picked up a MIK Dean Boca 12 in a trade. Mine is not neck heavy (for a 12-string) & plays nicely. Action, fit & finish, & hardware are all solid... doesn't feel cheap at all.

The only drawback, IMO, is the pickups, which are pretty standard high-output humbuckers like what you'd find on just about any other Korean import. They just don't give it any 'jangle' at all.

I've recently swapped them out for a Gibson 498T and a GFS Dream-90 & will be giving them the 'acid test' at tonight's gig... see how it cuts through with the new 'pups (not pictured).

2546160812_825843462b_o.jpg

2966258757_868aaba6d8.jpg

• Members

I picked up a MIK Dean Boca 12 in a trade. Mine is not neck heavy (for a 12-string) & plays nicely. Action, fit & finish, & hardware are all solid... doesn't feel cheap at all.

Were they all MIK or could I have played a MII or MIC?

It was the dark natural finish btw.

• Members

How close is the neck on this to a regular strat. For some reason i can't get on to well with strat necks.

Thanks for all the helps so far guys. I'd like to try to limit it to about $300. I don't know if I'm going to like it or even want to keep it so I'd rather not invest a lot of money.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dean (I think the Boca) 12 Strings? I think a hollow or semi hollow body would be the best to go with.

Thinner and wider as far as I recall haven't picked it up in a while

• Members

Thanks for all the input guys. If I were to go with the dano, daisy, or dean, could I put an EQ pedel in a board and bring out the high end? Or would it just suck out the tone?

Do yourself a favor, save up and get a Janglebox pedal. Believe the hype. It makes 12 strings shimmer. Think Byrds-Beatles.

Archived