Bridge in backwards?

Picktrade

• Members

I bought a guitar from a guy the other day and I just noticed the bridge looks backwards. The guitar's intonation is good right now, but if I turn it around won't I have to adjust it? How do I do that? Also, see the high e string, the little metal thing is turned the other way, should I turn it the other way? Here's a picture:

Pick006.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

It looks like the previous owner had to have the bridge and saddles that way so that he could get the saddles as far back as possible for the intonation to be correct. If you flip it around (which just involves removing the strings, pulling it off, and flipping it) you wouldn't have as much play because the individual saddles would be facing the other way. If the intonation is perfect right now, then you won't be able to get it right if you flip it around because of the loss of a couple of millimeters in adjustment potential.

There's no reason to flip it. It's not "backwards". Countless guitars come with the bridge that way rather than with the adjustment screws in the back. There's no need to change anything. And there's no need to flip that that one saddle around either, unless you want to do it for aesthetic reasons.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. The guitar play fairly well, except for the high e on the 16th fret when I play the note, it sounds fine, but then if I bend it, the note just dies. If I turn the metal thing around would it fix this?

I doubt changing the saddle around would make any difference. You're more likely fretting the string out against a higher fret (or possibly even against the polepiece of your neck pickup). Try and figure out what it's hitting when you bend it.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. The guitar play fairly well, except for the high e on the 16th fret when I play the note, it sounds fine, but then if I bend it, the note just dies. If I turn the metal thing around would it fix this?

NO. You can try raising the action just a tad with the thumb screws on the bridge, but it looks like you're hitting a high fret that needs dressed.

• Members

I doubt changing the saddle around would make any difference. You're more likely fretting the string out against a higher fret (or possibly even against the polepiece of your neck pickup). Try and figure out what it's hitting when you bend it.

+1

Turning that saddle around won't help with the "dying note" issue on the high e string. As Alex said, the most likely scenario is that it's fretting out on one of the other frets. You could have a high fret or you could have the strings too close to the fretboard (or you need to adjust your truss rod)

Archived