Best value SG? Going to replace pickups, like larger pickguard, so Epiphone G-310?

hangwire

• Members

* 1 and 11/16" width of neck at nut

* 12.75" body at widest point

EDIT:

Someone beat me too it. And I didn't see the part about the "trem"

But yeah, I'd stay away.

i think they pasted in the wrong description.

i'd take a stab at it if it's the color you want and you're changing everything anyway. it'll probably need a fret levelling too, but that's a relatively easy task.

• Members

what was lacking ?

Never bonded with it. I hate to be a gear snob, but I couldn't get past a bolt neck SG. There was nothing specifically wrong with it either, but I like my SG's to be set neck. Everything on it seemed a little cheap - pots were noisy, switch was junky, etc. One of the pickups (bridge IIRC) was pretty muddy too. As a modding platform it would be fine - the tuners, neck & body were all nice.

• Members

thanks... it seems like a good "base" to mod... thinking of a gfs mean 90 in the bridge and a gfs 70s telecustom split humbucker clone in the neck :D

There was a worm brown set neck G400 for $300 at a local shop brand new... tempting, that satin neck played great....

• Members

I was able to play a few g400s this afternoon... was very suprised at how much better the satin finished worn brown played... the neck was less "sticky"

I played a special and noted the differences, but it wasn't bad

+1! Just got this (Vintage/ Faded Cherry) no need to change the pickups even, plays/sounds AWESOME!!! $299 + a free amp at GC!

NewSG.jpg

• Members

I noticed a new G400 with the larger pickguard at a local Guitar Center, but they changed the necks on those things. They are crazy thin and not very comfortable. They have an odd contour to them. I hope this helps.

agreed. the neck reminded me of an ibanez wizard with a sharper, less comfortable contour, if that makes sense.

• Members

Never bonded with it. I hate to be a gear snob, but I couldn't get past a bolt neck SG. There was nothing specifically wrong with it either, but I like my SG's to be set neck. Everything on it seemed a little cheap - pots were noisy, switch was junky, etc. One of the pickups (bridge IIRC) was pretty muddy too. As a modding platform it would be fine - the tuners, neck & body were all nice.

I'm the one who got this fron deaner33. the overall guitar is what can be expected fron a 200.00 dollar guitar. i too found the bridge pup to be a litte muddy, but soon found it to be just a bad ground. once that was fixed, she rocked as hard as any sg could. i also have the jay turser sg. it is the set neck model, and had GFS crunchy pat's in it. again, after a rewire, all is well in the world of tone. actually i find myself playing the turser more than the epi. either are good platforms for modding. and the prices are reasonable for both.

• Members

I'm the one who got this fron deaner33. the overall guitar is what can be expected fron a 200.00 dollar guitar. i too found the bridge pup to be a litte muddy, but soon found it to be just a bad ground. once that was fixed, she rocked as hard as any sg could. i also have the jay turser sg. it is the set neck model, and had GFS crunchy pat's in it. again, after a rewire, all is well in the world of tone. actually i find myself playing the turser more than the epi. either are good platforms for modding. and the prices are reasonable for both.

Glad you're enjoying the Epi. I find that I play my Arbor Lyric (essentially a Turser JT45) more than any of my other guitars. Great set neck SG Jr copy for $150.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What's with the Strat with the headstock blacked out and the middle pickup missing?

Plus, the thing visually wrong with the G-310's: The bridge is not in its usual place. It's further back because the neck is bolted in further.

I like that visual difference with the bridge :wave: fits my playing style I guess :idk:

that is my custom strat... I like it :D

• Members

I was able to play a few g400s this afternoon... was very suprised at how much better the satin finished worn brown played... the neck was less "sticky"

I played a special and noted the differences, but it wasn't bad

Yeah that's what I was going to suggest.. The Faded G-400s are a hundred less than the regular ones and are still set neck.

• Members

I bought this Samick Greg Bennett Torino 3 http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2122717 from a dealer after seeing it on the wall.After playing it I had to buy it the thing sounds great,unfortunatly i need some cash (out of work) so it's up for sale.

Another idea is a Epiphone Toni Iommi G400 the neck is very fast and the PU's are the same as they put in the Gibson Iommi SG's,one of the best sounding PU's I have had/heard in some 30 years.That guitar i dont want to sell,it's dam amazing.

Archived