Acoustic guitar pickup question - AG forum too slow.

Ancient Mariner

• Members

I've been playing a Suzuki acoustic that came fitted with a piezo system for the last 25+ years, and although it's 'worked' the tone and string balance is far from satisfactory. I'd like to be able to use it live more, and have been considering a modern soundhole PU instead: something like the Fishman Neo D single coil, Seymour Duncan woody and Artec WSH-12. I'm looking at the less expensive end because I may end up just replacing the guitar and expensive acoustic systems isn't where my heart lies. An LR Baggs M1 is a financial bridge too far, for instance. I plan to wire it to control it through the existing volume and tone controls on the guitar.

I'd appreciate recommendations and comments from any owners/users. Pros, cons and any other advice.

Thanks.

• Members

When I owned a Lowden O-10 I had a Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pickup (humbucking model) and it sounded surprisingly good. Good enough to get many compliments on my live tone from that guitar. They redesigned the pickup this year so I cannot vouch for the new one, but the older version I had I would endorse without reservation. I currently own a SD Woody pickup and have been less than impressed with it. The Sunrise is probably the king of sound hole pickups, but they are a bit pricey (over $200.00) and sounds out of your budget.

Archived