So here I go with a whole new electric guitar setup...

brianwahl

• Members

Yeah. Do yourself a favor and try one of those, specifically. It's nothing like the other 3 you listed. Doesn't hurt to try one before you commit to the AC15 (which is not a bad choice either).

Just...Trust me (and the thousands of other people who have made the Deluxe Reverb their no.1) on this one.

Well I happen to be headed to guitar center in just a few minutes... :thu:

Thanks for the tip!

• Members

Well I happen to be headed to guitar center in just a few minutes...
:thu:

Thanks for the tip!

Alternatively, check out the Princeton Reverb Reissue (if they have one).

The Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, and Super Reverb are based off one "family" of Fender amps, which is pretty distinct from the Blues Jr., Deville, and Hot Rod family.

• Members

i have an ac-15 i picked up used at my GC for 400 bones...great little amp. Mine has the wharfedale speaker in it, and i clipped the bright switch. i also disconnected the reverb...it's horrid. i'll relace it with a better unit at some point, but the tremolo is fantastic!!!

• Members

Alternatively, check out the Princeton Reverb Reissue (if they have one).

The Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, and Super Reverb are based off one "family" of Fender amps, which is pretty distinct from the Blues Jr., Deville, and Hot Rod family.

Actually, I have tried the princeton reverb ri, and I liked it a lot more than the other fender stuff I've played. I played it alongside the ac15, which I liked more, though.

Looking forward to checking out the drri.

• Members

I've heard about this one - I'll def. have to check it out. Thanks!

Yeah, I have a carbon copy, and it's great! Much better than the Boss models out there!

I, too tried out a Vox ac15. LOVED it! In fact, I'd like to have the 30 watt model. U2 is one of my fave bands, so Vox is where that tone is at!

I, too have tried modeling amps in larger church settings, and they just did not sound nearly as good as my tube amp does through a GOOD mic. Make sure the sound guy is using at least a Shure SM57. Otherwise, the best amp in the world will sound horrible.

• Members

Maybe give the Fender Super Champ XD a try. It's 15 watts tube power, but has a digital preamp to give you a variety of sounds/effects. Quite a few people seem to like it. It's not going to have the footswitchable versatility of the Vox you sold. I think you can footswitch a couple things, but to really go through a lot of sounds you need to mess with the amp.

• Members

Well just got back from guitar center. I'm a youth pastor, and going to guitar center with students is a great way to bond. Gotta love my job!

Anyway, the vox it is for sure. I picked up a '52 Hot Rod tele (my blue tele has almost identical spec's), and it was exactly what I want. Search is over for sure. I played a Jimmie Vaughan strat through it (I've got the JV strat), and it sounded good, but not as good as the '52 hot rod. I guess the hot rod is 3X the price.

My blue tele has the same duncan vintage mini humbucker in the neck, but with a duncan little '59 in the bridge instead of the custom vintage tele bridge in the hot rod. The neck mini bucker is shot on my blue tele, and I'll probably get it replaced after Christmas.

Anyway, there is a fellow forum member offering to sell me his ac15 with an eminence red fang speaker and new tubes for a pretty good deal. Probably going to have to jump on that.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

• Members

Didnt try a DRRI?
:)

Actually, no. Saw it - it's out of my price range. I need to keep it around $500 or less. I didn't notice they had one until we were on our way out of the store, though. It was kinda sitting in a different place than the other fender stuff.

• Members

I don't think the XD will cut it when it comes to gigging at church or in bigger venues like the OP said.

Well a classic 30 was too loud, it is church, not a metal band. There are youtube videos of guys gigging bars with the superchamp XD, loud rock drummers playing hendrix stuff & no mics. Mic it or possibly use the line out if you need to fill a bigger place.

• Members

Well, deal is done. AC-15 will be on its way tomorrow. It's got a speaker upgrade with a Eminence Red Fang, which reportedly sounds very close to the celestion alinico blue speaker that vox charges $400 extra for.

Now, if I could just get the pickup replaced in my blue tele, it will be a NAD and NGD all in the same week.

• Members

Well just got back from guitar center. I'm a youth pastor, and going to guitar center with students is a great way to bond. Gotta love my job!

Anyway, the vox it is for sure. I picked up a '52 Hot Rod tele (my blue tele has almost identical spec's), and it was exactly what I want. Search is over for sure. I played a Jimmie Vaughan strat through it (I've got the JV strat), and it sounded good, but not as good as the '52 hot rod. I guess the hot rod is 3X the price.

My blue tele has the same duncan vintage mini humbucker in the neck, but with a duncan little '59 in the bridge instead of the custom vintage tele bridge in the hot rod. The neck mini bucker is shot on my blue tele, and I'll probably get it replaced after Christmas.

Anyway, there is a fellow forum member offering to sell me his ac15 with an eminence red fang speaker and new tubes for a pretty good deal. Probably going to have to jump on that.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

I have a 52 HotRod and play it through a modded Classic 30 and a Boss GT8.

It's the most versatile setup I've ever had. I sounds good loud AND I can get some really sweet tones from it at lower volume too.

• Members

Hotrod Teles are nice....just wish they came in a different color...:D

Congrats on the new Vox. Now, you're gonna have to get a pedal collection started...

You should check out the Jekyll & Hyde by Visual Sound. Picked one up in Tulsa when I was on vacation. I use it all the time at church. (I'm a youth pastor, too). Great overdrive (same circuit as the tube screamer) and a nice distortion, all in one pedal.

• Members

Hotrod Teles are nice....just wish they came in a different color...
:D

Congrats on the new Vox. Now, you're gonna have to get a pedal collection started...

You should check out the Jekyll & Hyde by Visual Sound. Picked one up in Tulsa when I was on vacation. I use it all the time at church. (I'm a youth pastor, too). Great overdrive (same circuit as the tube screamer) and a nice distortion, all in one pedal.

Haha - I love the butterscotch on a tele, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everybody.

About pedals - I put two overdrive pedals on a wishlist from musiciansfriend. The Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer, and the T-Rex Mudhoney. Both of them have been purchased by people I sent the list out to, so those two are coming. The amp has reverb (though not the greatest sounding verb) and tremelo. I'd like to get a delay pedal, and maybe a chorus. Aside from those, I don't use any other effects. What else is essential? Or at least worth having, as far as different kinds of effects go?

One thing - back on my Vox Valvetronix amp, I used the U-Vibe from time to time. Seemed pretty cool. Oh, and I NEVER use a wah. I can't get one to sound good no matter what I do. My feet and my hands don't like to work together :cool:

• Members

Well, a Vox AC15 has been ordered and shipped. I'm expecting it tomorrow.

It's an AC15cc1 (wharfdale speaker), but the speaker has been upgraded to an Eminence Red Fang, which should be really similar to the Blue speaker Vox puts in the AC15cc1x.

:thu:

Archived