THE Explorer thread!!!

ak47dragunov

• Members

I love an Explorer myself and I kind of have a mystery one to boot, or at least one I have never seen a twin of and it was bought new. It looks kinda like the one in Dragunov's avatar. All gold hardware and exposed pickups, normal brown colored body. The thing about it is it rocks!!! I am no expert, but I have had some gear that far exceeds my talents and none compare to this thing. I can take any other guitar I have (LP Faded Standard, American Strat) plug the Explorer in on all the same amp settings and it is so much louder, fatter and all around great sounding that it makes the other guitars sound like toys. Am I a metal head and don't know it? Is this normal? Are they supposed to rock that much harder?

After posting this and getting no help from the Hc crowd , I did a bit more research and I think it is a 76 reissue. Is there a way to tell for sure? Serial number?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You sure know how to wreck a thread...

Hey, it's OK, the guy who posted his is German.

Though seriously, I've contemplated picking up an Aria ZZ Custom in diagonal black/white myself, for the tasty 80s memories. They actually are really good guitars, & great bang for the buck today.

I believe one showed up in a Prince & the Revolution video too -- "1999" maybe? And one HC reviewer reports that Viv Campbell used one on the road in his Dio days, circa "Last In Line" tour.

• Members

Some.jpg

If they ever outlaw pointy guitars, you are in trouble.

Actually, I have a question on the zebra stripe guitar. Aria, George Lynch model? I had one like that but white and black. Do you know what pickup is in the neck position. That pickup has sounded incredible in two guitars that I have owned and I would like to put one in my next guitar build.

Surfy

• Members

If they ever outlaw pointy guitars, you are in trouble.

Actually, I have a question on the zebra stripe guitar. Aria, George Lynch model? I had one like that but white and black. Do you know what pickup is in the neck position. That pickup has sounded incredible in two guitars that I have owned and I would like to put one in my next guitar build.

Surfy

Zebra stripe? You mean Tiger stripe (yellow and black?). That's a Jackson Soloist in Bengal Yellow.

• Members

here's mine

Funny how most people leave the strap button behind the neck, I couldn't stand to play with the strap button there, the way it leaned forward was driving me nuts, within the hour I moved it to the side. Maybe I just have a tendency to look at my neck a little too much:o

oh and Armittage........I hate you

100_2673.jpg

• Members

here's mine

Funny how most people leave the strap button behind the neck, I couldn't stand to play with the strap button there, the way it leaned forward was driving me nuts, within the hour I moved it to the side. Maybe I just have a tendency to look at my neck a little too much:o

I find the strap button behind the neck to be more comfortable for me, probably because of all the years of playing my ES330 which was the first guitar that I learned to play on which had the strap button there so I just became used to it.

• Members
here's mine

oh and Armittage........I hate you

I'm glad you hate me ;)

BTW, I can't believe you put a strap button on the shoulder. Every explorer I've play with the button there neck dived badly.

Archived