ARCHTOP RECOMMENDATION

bmast160

• Members

hmmm, under $1,000 - no recommendation

under $1,800 - definitely recommend a used Eastman such as an 810, 805, pisano model.

Way better sounding guitar than any sort of Gibson 125.

also, as roy said, a Heritage eagle, especially an older one ( 80's - early '90's ) - i thought those were best.

• Members

Here's an Elite Byrdland for $1600

Here's another one that might go for a touch less.

And here's a Broadway which is a similar guitar but a longer scale length and body depth. Sunburst and should go for around $1,500

c403_3.JPG

They're really nice. Solid Spruce top. And the spruce has really close grain. The top on mine has to be 200 years old with the number of lines I count.

• Members

Used Guild X-series are very nice!

Harmony guitars, while of historical interest, would probably not be my first choice. In their day they were mostly a budget line, although some good players were undoubtedly among them. Also, the original archtops were (often) equipped with DeArmond-Rowe "gold foil" pickups. I have not been overly inspired by the reissues.

Here is an example of a Guild (not mine).

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/40U-4457.htm

• Members

Jerry's recommendation of the Guild X series is the one I would echo. I have an X-180 Park Avenue which is my favorite, next to my Gibson archtops.

guild_park_avenue.jpg

The Epiphone Elitist Broadway is nice if you want a larger L5 type bodied guitar and the Epiphone Elitist Byrdland is nice if you can get used to the small scale.

Broadway.jpg

Byrdland.jpg

I also have an Eastman AR805CE Uptowner which is nice too.

Eastman.jpg

• Members

has anyone tried that harmony jazzbox?

I have only played the Rocket reissue, which did not impress me.

The H600 (spruce top for $549) is intriguing...but I've never played one.

If you have an up to-$1800 budget, why are you looking at Harmony's?

In the $400-600 range, there is a whole other set of options, including used DeArmond X-155, Ibanez ArtStar, Epiphone Joe Pass or Regent, Godin 5th Avenue, Gretsch Synchromatic.

Archived