How far would you go to promote your band?

ZERO HEROES

• Members

Seriously, to answer the question...these days, not that far since I'm no longer trying to be anything. But if I was in my 20s I'd consider relocating, devoting a set number of hours weekly and a set percentage of my day job income to promoting and networking. I'd treat it like a second job.

• Members

Be serious. How far would you go to promote your band.

Who cares? :rolleyes: It's not about what YOU feel you want or need as an artist. If you don't have a team or group of people who believe in you and want to help you succeed, your {censored} isn't gonna float very far.

• Members

Distance: The internet makes this much easier. My day job takes me to ten or more counties, so I am able to put in some face time with venues.

Effort: This past year we played only shows that contacted us. We played less often. The trade off in quality of venues, personality of bookers, and response of patrons was impressive. We didn't have to win anyone over.

Ethics: Don't snipe another band's venue. Don't bandmouth other bands. Don't badmouth former band members. Go out to support live music whenever you can.

• Members

I generally have only done what I can do for free and/or enjoyable activities (making shirts, posters, playing shows, touring) to promote my band. Also, I will send albums to friends. I never have thought of it as promotion, because it is just friends trading music and showing eachother what each has been up to - but it is a form of promotion, because that friend plays it for their friends, those friends want a copy, want to see the show, etc...

It has worked, generally, to promote like that.

I personally think, however, that nothing promotes a band like that band playing shows, meeting people (which is usually done through playing shows), and playing more shows.

• Members

Move to the Northeast (Boston - cheaper than NYC and well, it's awesome here) and play between Boston and NYC (Providence, Worcester, Manchester, Hartford, New Haven). When it gets serious get shows from Boston (ok, Manchester) to DC and, going west Boston to Chicago. Cheap flights, rental gear, trains, lots of driving. Lots of options. And homebase is an awesome city for original music.

Archived