1000 True Fans: Robert Rich on the art of making a living musically

• Members

Robert Rich is among the top 3 or so ambient artists in most anyone's list. He's also articulate, down-to-earth, honest, and totally dedicated to his art. He's posted the following on his website/blog - linked below the following text, which I thought might be of interest to this community. It's a bit long, but more than worth the time to read. I had to truncate it to fit the post limit size here...follow the links to the rest:

Robert's website:

http://robertrich.com

1000 True Fans (an answer)

A few days ago, I got a question from Kevin Kelly (founding editor of Wired Magazine) asking me to give some real-world insight upon his theory that an internet-age artist can survive with around 1,000

• Members

Here's the text of his letter - for some reason my above thread-starting post is not showing this section:

Dear Kevin,

I agree strongly with your basic thesis, that artists can survive on the cusp of the long tail by nurturing the help of dedicated fans; but perhaps I can modulate your welcome optimism with a light dose of realism, tempered by some personal reflections.

I have operated on a premise similar to yours for almost 30 years now, before the internet made the idea more feasible. I wanted to make the sort of uncompromising quiet introspective music that moved me deeply when I first heard others do it back in the mid

• Members

Wow. Great response and very true. It gets really old trying to maintain people's interest - enough to make a living... or even to supplement one's income decently. But for some of us, making music that the mainstream finds acceptable isn't really an option either.

• Members

Interesting article - thanks for posting.

I'm trying to make a living and express myself creatively in the same small ambient electronic puddle as Robert Rich, and I definitely relate to a lot of what he says.

Archived