HOW TO BREAK INTO LOCAL SCENE???

austikins

• Members

ive finally put together a band, and i think the bassist might actually stick around this time (long story... ask me another time). ive recorded a 5 song demo/EP, and weve been to a few open mic nights to build our confidence. i think we are ready to start trying to find gigs, but im unsure of what steps to take in what order. does anybody have a step by step on how to get established locally?

our sound is what i call "acoustic folk-alternative". its like acoustic driven, bordering on alternative, with meaningful lyrics. there is a pretty good market around here for acoustic music, so i think we have a chance at becoming a local favorite, i just dont know where to start.

should i just start calling places up and asking if they will book us? should i go to the two univeristies and ask for gigs (and who would i talk to to get gigs there)? should i send our demo to the local free papers to get reviewed? we dont have a PA, so we are limited to venues that can provide one. ive never been in this situation, so any help would be awesome.

• Members

I would become friends with a "similiar" type band or a band that you could be on the same bill with. Or a band whos fans would like your music as well. Careful though, if it works you'll find yourself knee deep quick and have to be able to roll with it, be able to play out, etc. Good luck man.

and get a PA. it doesn't have to be the best, as long as it sounds decent it only has to be good enough for you to be able to play venues that don't have a PA. Then you don't have to count on anyone else.

It's not as hard as it seems to "break into the scene" as it is to be liked. Be confident and fun.

• Members

It's not as hard as it seems to "break into the scene" as it is to be liked. Be confident and fun.

truth. "breaking into" any scene is easy; go to shows. then go to more shows. befriend like-minded bands and club owners/booking agents where they play. then start playing shows with 'em. as for being liked, it all depends on where you are and what the local populace is in to. good luck, sir.

• Members

should i send our demo to the local free papers to get reviewed?

as the music editor for a free weekly, i speak from a position of experience and authority here: absolutely. even if your local papers don't run a lot of cd reviews, it never hurts to let the press in your town know you exist. after all, it's your job to do so. however, don't be a tool about it. if they don't review it and/or write about your band instantaneously, don't bug 'em. don't be desperate; it's unbecoming. and for god's sake, don't badmouth your local weeklies. no good can come of it.

• Members

i really dont want to waste all of that money to send out CDs with no guaranty of a gig. i know that cant ever know for sure if i will get a gig, but to spend money on sending a CD without even know if they will consider me seems like a waste of money.

ive heard about sending out post cards asking if we can send them a press pack. does anyone have experience with that?

someone mentioned networking, but what all is involved in that? should i contact bands, clubs, coffee shops, etc.? ive heard that phrase before, but im not sure what to do to accomplish it.

• Members

i really dont want to waste all of that money to send out CDs with no guaranty of a gig. i know that cant ever know for sure if i will get a gig, but to spend money on sending a CD without even know if they will consider me seems like a waste of money.

ive heard about sending out post cards asking if we can send them a press pack. does anyone have experience with that?

someone mentioned networking, but what all is involved in that? should i contact bands, clubs, coffee shops, etc.? ive heard that phrase before, but im not sure what to do to accomplish it.

Networking just means getting to know all of the other musicians and folks in your local music community, and it is a really good idea. I've gotten a lot of good advice from the local musicians, as well as gigs. A local musician sets up a gig with multiple bands or other musicians, who is he gonna call? His other local musician friends.

One great way to meet local musicians is to find strong open mic nights and go. If you like the people there, like their music, you become a regular, then you get to know them. I was a regular at an open mic night in Tampa, and the woman who hosts a local radio show about local musical talent showed up. She liked a few of us and as a result we got booked on her show. Pretty cool.

Open mics aren't for everyone. A drummer in a metal band might not benefit too much. But you get the idea. Anywhere where there are musicians playing and socializing.

In Tampa, there's a chapter of Just Plain Folks. I'm a member. They have a showcase each month where all the members stand up and play 2 or 3 songs. Sort of like an open mic, I guess. Some JFP chapters have showcases and feature bands. You might want to see if your area has a JPF chapter, and if it has showcases. Or you might even organize your own JPF chapter. Go to jpf.org for more info. It's free and it's a great way to "network." I met Jim Mason through JPF - he's a member of the Tampa chapter. Jim has worked with Firefall, John Lennon, a ton of people. He's a great guy.

Regarding press packages, the way I've heard most people recommend is actually showing up at a club and asking to see the person in charge of booking music. You talk to them, tell them what you do, and ask if you can leave a press package. If they say yes, you leave one. Do this enough times at enough places and you get gigs. Personally, I'm way too shy to do that. I'm a blabbermouth in forums but in real life I'm pretty quiet until you get to know me. Then I won't shut up.

• Members

"Networking" is a very misunderstood word. I always heard people talk about networking, and how it is so important :blah::blah::blah: I thought "f- that, I'm not going to go out of my way to make 'connections' like some sleaze, using people for my benefit."

What I have realized, however, is that all along, I actually HAVE been networking, and doing it probably in the best way it can be done - naturally. "Networking" just means making friends with other people who are interested in what you are interested in. People support eachother, your friends see their band and become their fans, and vice versa. You also meet new people and expand your influences and have fun.

If there are other bands in your town that you like, go to their shows, talk to them, and if you think it is worth it, give them a CD of your band. Don't do it expecting shows with them, just do it because you want your music heard and want to see if other people are into what you are doing. If they like it, eventually you will be playing shows together.

• Members

i really dont want to waste all of that money to send out CDs with no guaranty of a gig.

Man, I have to say that line sounds so utterly un-Rock and Roll. Send it out and get gigs! If you or your singer can sing you'll be on stage within a month!

• Members

Man, I have to say that line sounds so utterly un-Rock and Roll.

That's because his music is about as un rock and roll as it gets. That's not a slam, it's just the truth. Trying to book his stuff in to a rock bar would be a tough sell and a frustrating experience, at least for me. I'd go a different direction.

Look for a local folk/acoustic music society to join. They will have publications listing venues and events and can be a goldmine for contacts. Offer to play for their meetings once in awhile if they have them.

Take your CDs to local book/music stores like Walden, Borders or Hastings and see if you can do a live in-store show as promo. Nine times out of ten they're more than happy to have you.

Contact as many wineries, restaurants and coffee shops as you can. It might not be where you want to be but you have to start somewhere.

Open mics can be your friend.

Let everyone you know be aware that you're available for backyard gatherings, company dinner parties, corporate events that require background type entertainment etc. Again maybe not where you want to be for long but I still do some of these gigs and have gotten other gigs from them,, and sold a butt load of CDs at these things. Many of these corporate types like to spend money and are now fans of my band.I listened to your stuff and I think that for you, pursuing bars would be a waste of time and a dead end. Unless you're loud and raucous and can cut through the noise or enhace the "let's get drunk and get laid' atmosphere, you'll be largely ignored. You may think you're being ignored at some of the venues I mentioned, but just put out a tip jar and watch the magic. You'll discover that a lot more people are listening than you might think.

• Members

That's because his music is about as un rock and roll as it gets. That's not a slam, it's just the truth. Trying to book his stuff in to a rock bar would be a tough sell and a frustrating experience, at least for me. I'd go a different direction.

Oh well. I was assuming a rock sound. Couldn't find any links to the music.

• Members

In the end they can tell you what the submission process is, but if you want a guarantee of a gig and you're just starting out, then you are absolutely, positively involved in the wrong hobby.

i guess guarantee is the wrong word. it just seems like a bad business move to spend a lot of money on sending demos and press kits without the possibility of getting a gig. im sure theres the possibility of getting a gig anywhere, but i dont have lot of money to look for gigs. why would somebody send out a bunch of CDs, say 25, just so they can hopefully get 5 gigs? its like a shot in the dark.

what i want to know is: does someone have a step-by-step suggestion of how to start getting gigs? something like...

1. write songs

2. get a band

3. practice a lot

4. got to open mic nights

5. record a demo

thats where im at right now. where do i go from here?

if it helps, you can got to http://www.myspace.com/austindavis to hear my music.

• Members

i dont have lot of money to look for gigs. why would somebody send out a bunch of CDs, say 25, just so they can hopefully get 5 gigs? its like a shot in the dark.

Wow, what a horribly negative way to look at a 20% success rate. The money part is easy - send out what you can afford (if they even want a CD - they probably a myspace link). Save up money to send out more when you can.

But "why would somebody send out a bunch of CDs, say 25, just so they can hopefully get 5 gigs?"??????? I happily send out 25 CDs to get 5 gigs (or 1 gig) if that's what it takes. What's the alternative, don't send out anything and sit at home without a gig? Some how, some way a booking guy at a venue has to hear your stuff before they decide to book you, no matter how much networking you do. That step should not be a huge obstacle. Writing and performing music good enough that someone would want to book you after hearing your stuff? That's the hard part.

Just start the process and you will learn what to do and what not to do in your city for your kind of music and you will build up a following which always helps get more and better and bigger gigs.

• Members

Chat with the venues and let us know about their submission process when you get a chance.

btw, when I was new in Seattle and was new in a band in Boston, we had no network. We knew no one. We sent out stuff to venues (this is rock music stuff I'm talking about) and in each case we got gigs immediately because of the quality of the music and performance (great vocalists in both situations). Networking is good and is bound to develop once you get out there but it's hardly a prereq for getting gigs.

• Members

...it just seems like a bad business move to spend a lot of money on sending demos and press kits without the possibility of getting a gig. im sure theres the possibility of getting a gig anywhere, but i dont have lot of money to look for gigs. why would somebody send out a bunch of CDs, say 25, just so they can hopefully get 5 gigs?...

Burning and mailing 25 demo cd-r's might cost you 30 or 40 bucks. If those 5 gigs pay $100 each, you're ahead by roughly $450. If you're not into it for money, fine. You've still just paid for your gas, dinner, bar tab, and probably your practice space rent if you have one. Bad business?

Like others have said, set up a Myspace artist page and upload your music. Its free. Take it a step further by putting together an electronic press kit (EPK) here: http://www.sonicbids.com/About/ArtistsGetTheDetails.aspx

Wherever you think your band's style will fit in, call those venues and ask for the email address of the person who handles the booking. From there, send them a link to your EPK or at least your Myspace page. Wait a few days, then check in with them and ask for a date. Nobody's going to hand you anything in the beginning unless you ask for it.

• Members

In my area, mailing CDs and press kits would be a complete waste of time. All you really need is a myspace with decent recordings. For most places, having the recordings online is the most convenient. After that it all comes down to networking. One thing that really helps is if you are going to see other local bands. Talk to them about setting up a show together, or just ask them what they did to start getting gigs.

• Members

I hate inter-bands relations. Its always full of hypocrisy.

What I hate the most is other musicians coming to me like they are my friends or part of a community because we all play music... Look hairy dude, I don't give a {censored} about you. Treat me with respect, I will do the same, but you are no friend of mine. We are NOT buddies. :mad:

;)

• Members

I hate inter-bands relations. Its always full of hypocrisy.

What I hate the most is other musicians coming to me like they are my friends or part of a community because we all play music... Look hairy dude, I don't give a {censored} about you. Treat me with respect, I will do the same, but you are no friend of mine. We are NOT buddies.
:mad:

;)

It is sleazy when people do it just for the sake of trying to get a piece of whatever you have going, but I have made a lot of good friends through playing music just out of common interest and we have been mutually beneficial for each other.

• Members

You know, take this advice with a grain of salt since I’m basically in the same shoes as you. Still, I’ve done a lot of brainstorming on this. I figure there are a lot of avenues for this.

There are the direct routes: network with club managers, other musicians, and other people in the music industry. If they can’t help, they may know someone else who can.

Also, focus on building your following. Initially, your following will be primarily your friends, so expand your social circle. Some things I’ve thought of:

- Get a second job where a lot of young, outgoing people work. If you can find two or three socially connected twenty-somethings to spread your music, it goes a long way. Plus, you can take the money and use it for band expenses.

- If you can, get many roommates—preferably musician roommates. If three roommates bring 3 friends, then that’s 12 people right there.

- Go to open mic nights and befriend other musicians. If you support them, they are likely to support you.

- Take advantage of activity like church or something.

- Leverage friends of band members.

I may be wrong, but it seems like getting on bills with existing bands is the best way. But if not, you can just do it yourself and talk to a club owner in terms he understands: “Here is my music. I can have a draw of roughly 40 people.”

Anyway, just my ideas thus far.

• Members

I'll give my .02 and that's probably about what it's worth. My only experience has been helping to find places for my 13 year old daughter to perform, BUT I think some of what I have been doing could work for you as well.

One thing I do is check online for event calendars. So, whatever your nearest semi-large city is, do a Google search for an area calendar. You'll find all sorts of events, and if you are lucky, a couple of them may be the sort that could use a band - maybe a charity function or the like. Just remember, one thing leads to another. A PA system seems like a must to me and will give you more opportunities.

**EDIT** - Here is an example for your area: http://www.spokaneevents.com/events-calendar/

Another thing to do, is look at the "upcoming shows" list on websites of other area bands. Find out where they are playing and then pick up the phone or send an e-mail to those venues and see if they hold open auditions, OR (I like this method), send them a link to a few YouTube videos of your band performing - especially if you can show yourselves playing at similar venues.

HTH.

• Members

Three words... blood, sweat and tears! :)

Seriously though, I've found you just have to be pleasantly persistant. It almost always works 10 times better if you visit venues in person (vs. calling). Calling works better than email... email really only works once you've already established a relationship with a venue.

Get your stuff together (demo, photo, bio, etc.) and take it venues in person. I usually call first to find out the name of the person who books acts, then call a couple days later to find out when that person is working.

Show up with your stuff when the person who books is actually present. Be polite, but be persistent. If you're confident in yourself (and your band) that confidence will come across in how you talk about the group. Try to get some dates booked on the spot.

I've found that 9 times out of 10 they'll never listen to your demo... they just want to know you've got one (i.e. you're putting the effort in) and if you look professional and behave as a professional you can usually get a gig.

The rest comes from how well you perform at the gigs you land... :)

Archived