Wow - Google!

• Members

And I've got to really think about the ethical dimensions of this.

Client confidentiality in the age of Google? I may need to change my professional

email account.

But I think Gmail is a fantastic product.

That's the dilemma. The product is so good and affordable, resistance is futile! Although someone who deals with I-601 waivers of inadmissibility may wish to take special measures. (I only just learned what those are by... googling them!)

I'm not sure if you're aware of any of Google's long term goals with their growing "cloud" infrastructure... it is the Next Big Thing. Some speculate that Google's cloud will become the planets' database, as the affordability and scalability of migrating other databases (and applications) to their cloud of servers becomes irresistible.

• Members

But ot does occur me that the greatest invasions of privacy, in the tech age, are always the spawn of--andin the name of--
convenience
, starting with the first great convenience of data management, the credit card.

Agreed.

• Members

dudddits: "I'm not sure if you're aware of any of Google's long term goals with their growing "cloud" infrastructure... it is the Next Big Thing. Some speculate that Google's cloud will become the planets' database, as the affordability and scalability of migrating other databases (and applications) to their cloud of servers becomes irresistible."

It hit me when I saw a very narrow targeted ad to my profession when I'd surfed to a political article.

Wow! I saw what Google is up to. And I saw that it's too late.

It starts to add up.

First there is the search engine.

Followed by Gmail.

Followed by content extraction.

Google Earth has mapped & photographed your neighborhood.

Google Print is scanning every book you've ever read or want to read.

Google's Youtube seemingly, has almost every commercial video ever made.

And now, comes the Google cloud infrastructure?

Micro$oft is roadkill on the Google Highway.

We all are.

• Members
Google really is a slick company.

You know they save every search ever done?

I also heard a while ago that they at one point were perusing the use of (without permission) a computers on board mic in order to target adds by listening to what your saying and anything in the background.

Pretty awful actually, like I want to be bombarded with more ads than I already am.

Yeah, I would be bombarded with toilet paper ads for all the times I yell {censored} at my computer. :D

Archived