What do I use to cut a pickup hole in the pickguard?

Phananganang

• Members

I've got an old Tele Thinline with a custom pickguard I want to modify. I want to replace the strat neck pickup with a P90. Any suggestions for cutting the hole in the pickguard? I don't want to hack it up, but Ive got an old pickguard to practice on.

• Members

If you don't have a dremel(which is best though) you could use any of the following:

X-acto knife(not so easy)

Coping saw blade and files(easier than Xacto)You will have to drill a starter hole to slip the blade through

Plunge router with fine bit(you'll need to be very steady)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I don't know what you mean by "old," but if the guitar has any vintage value I would not alter the original pickguard at all if you still have it (you said the one on there was "custom," so maybe this isn't an issue). Buy a new one and alter that if you need to, and transfer the pickups to that.

• Members

I used a Dremel in a Dremel router base made specifically for it. Then I used a Rotozip spiral bit, so I guess I coulda used my RotoZip tool. :freak:

Straight lines and round ends are of the utmost importance. Making a fence for each side to ensure the cuts are straight is highly recommended.

That said: I did this one free hand. it's not perfect, but I can't get a pic that shows the flaws so F it, good enough.

RW3.jpg

TURS33.jpg

Turser007.jpg

RW1.jpg

Archived