Do I Deserve a Good Guitar??!

Guitin Better

• Members

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just neurotic?

I'm a remarkably mediocre player and in my (albeit twisted) mind I don't feel like a deserve a decent guitar until I can really play. My guitar isn't a total POS but it's definitely a starter-outer (for the curious it's an LP style SX from Rondo). I know guys who decided they were going to become the next Steve Vai so they went out and spent over a thousand bucks on gear that now sits in the basement. They won't part with it because "they're going to learn to play it one day". I'm making due with less than $500 in gear (guitar, amp, multi-effects pedal) and some stuff I've acquired for free over the years (custom PA speakers, small mixer).

Anybody else feel this way . . . anybody . . . Bueller . . . . ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a terrible guitarist, but I'm certainly not as good as the many very nice guitars in my collection would suggest.

If you can afford a nice guitar or nice guitars, and you want a nice guitar or nice guitars, then you deserve a nice guitar or nice guitars.

• Members

No, you do not deserve a better guitar. You are not worthy of anything more than a Behringer blem guitar from a garage sale.

But since when was life about what you deserve? You are probably better than I am, and I have ten times your gear. Yes, it does bring me great pleasure. No, I am not worthy.

Is this like guitar grace or something?

• Members

Price doesn't always equate to better and enjoyment is relative and personal. I get a ton of joy out of playing all kinds of guitars and sometimes the personal joy of finding a jem in something that others would snub their noses at is great. I own a few nice pieces and I love them to death, but if I could have found better guitars for less I'd have done it in a second without a moments hesitation.

A pricier guitar won't make you better, but sometimes it will play better or easier and will inspire you more than a cheaper or flawed instrument. But with the guitars being made today $300 gets you a really nice guitar, $200 can get you really decent and in some cases $100 can get you something that can be dialed into a good player with a little extra work.

• Members

A good guitar doesn't make a good player.

As long as you enjoy it, buy whatever makes you happy and makes you want to practice.

agreed

it's weird seeing people on this forum go through 3-4 guitars a month. lots of people who know guitars, but don't know much about playing them.

• Members

Actually, I think a decent guitar can help improve your playing. It can make it easier to play, which equals less fatigue. Less fatigue, means you can play longer, which means you will eventually be able to execute your playing better.

A good guitar is easier to bond with, thereby making the experience better.

A nice guitar will also get the ladies attention more then that berringer blem.

• Members

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just neurotic?

I'm a remarkably mediocre player and in my (albeit twisted) mind I don't feel like a deserve a decent guitar until I can really play. My guitar isn't a total POS but it's definitely a starter-outer (for the curious it's an LP style SX from Rondo). I know guys who decided they were going to become the next Steve Vai so they went out and spent over a thousand bucks on gear that now sits in the basement. They won't part with it because "they're going to learn to play it one day". I'm making due with less than $500 in gear (guitar, amp, multi-effects pedal) and some stuff I've acquired for free over the years (custom PA speakers, small mixer).

Anybody else feel this way . . . anybody . . . Bueller . . . . ?

u can get a good guitar without having to spend too much

good gear is inspiring IMO

• Members

Will it make you play better? I would be more interested in modding the SX and getting a decent amp. But, hey, it's your money.

This post is a bit ironic because there is a pair of Seymour Duncans under the tree that will be installed in the SX tomorrow. The fit and finish of the SX is really nice and unbeatable for the price. Kicks any Squier's ass.

• Members

Playing guitar is all about enjoyment. If getting a expensive guitar or collecting many makes you happy then by all means do it.

I see guitars listed for more than $3000 and wonder how can it be worth that much? I'd rather have 10 $300 guitars.

I'd also like to own a decent amp but whenever I play out it's through a PA so my amp is really only for practice or as a stage monitor.

• Members

You should buy the guitar you want, fits the kind of playing you will subject it to and can afford. Other than that I don't think price matters.

Some great players have done great work with cheap (but well set-up) guitars. Jimmy Page with a Danelectro comes immediately to mind.

This is my experience. Last summer I bought a Rickenbaker 620. In my mind I wanted something "better" than my Squier VM Thinline Telecaster. I played the Rick for several days and discovered that, for my recreational playing, the Squier was a better fit. The thing that really convinced me was that I liked the feel of my Squier better. Its neck felt better than the Rick neck.

So buy what fits your style, feels good and fits your budget. I don't believe it's a moral issue.

Happy Holidays!

• Members

If the guitar you're playing now is hindering your getting better, then by all means treat yourself to a new one. You'd be surprised how much better you play on a better built instrument.

But no, you don't have to be good to deserve a good guitar. Have as good of a guitar as you can reasonably afford if you're serious about playing.

Archived