good music theory books? or other useful books for learning guitar

rw34

• Members

I've been playing for about a year now, just on my own, learning songs etc.. But I'm not progressing as much as I'd like, my rhythm playing is pretty good but I can't play anything particularly difficult, and my lead playing is just abysmal. I have no understanding of keys or anything like that. All I know of music theory is a basic understanding of chord progressions and arpeggios. Anyways, if anyone can recommend a good book or lesson course that would be great.

I know that nothing can really substitute for lessons, but I feel like finding a good teacher that is both enjoyable and knows their stuff would be quite difficult.

• Members

I like the Guitar Grimoire series, they aren't really user friendly, but there's a lot of material in each of the books that I find myself coming back to. I have another book that is an "Encyclopedia of modes" that is another take on the same ideas. Actually, I haven't found THE book yet, but maybe someday.

• Members

I have Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina. I recommend you check it out. I has a lot of useful exercises regarding lead playing as well as a little bit stuff regarding rhythm and how to actually write something. It also comes with a CD which has audio examples of each exercise. :thu:

• Members

get a harmony book, doesn't matter if it's for guitar or not. the berklee harmony books are pretty good and once you really start to understand basic harmony you'll be able to understand anything you read.

i think there's also a website called zentao.com which has a pretty decent outline of basic harmony

• Members

I find Guitar Noise very useful:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/

The lessons here are very clear and extremely useful. The site leans toward the folky side of things, so don't expect any metalish lessons, but that really shouldn't matter as the materal they present is helpful for any playing style.

Guitar Noise is imho the model for a great guitar community website! :thu:

Archived