do you ever go through phrases of just not playing?

chrisebrooks06

• Members

Occassionally, usually due to working too much and being too burnt out to bother with setting everything up. Touring doesn't seem to phase my interest in the guitar now. Used to put me right out of favour with it, but now doesn't seem to bother me :)

It'll pass, just don't force it. Enjoy the time you've just inherited doing something else.

• Members

Yeah it happens. Sometimes it depends on your situation too. When I shared a house I wouldn't play a lot out of courtesy for my house mates. Now that I rent a small house to myself I find that I play a lot more. It helps that my neighbors are musicians and very cool. But I still might go a few weeks without playing. Sometimes you just aren't very inspired. But when I get back I usually make up for lost time and create several new riffs!

• Members

This has happened to me a lot. I've gone a year or two without playing. It's often caused by frustration and despair at not being any good. I always feel stupid afterwards...if I had only spent that time practicing. The last 5 years I've been much more serious...playing nonstop.

• Members

One day the band said to me, look we have too many guitar players and you're the only one that can sing, so drop the axe and sing. I did. Now 30 years later I'm playing again. Never really quit though, did the Ian Hunter thing for awhile, but it's only that last few years that I've put total concentration back into it in terms of learning, improving, etc,

I will say that when i take a short break, like i did recently for hand surgery, I seem to come back fresher and stronger. Sometimes a break is good.

Do make yourself pick it up once in a while because even if you don't feel like playing, the actual act of playing may perk you up.

Go with, but don't let it run on too long.

• Members

The last time I got a little bored, I ended up buying a bass :) It got me all interested again, and I spend my time as a mix between guitar and bass.

It's easy to get bored of something if you do it for a while, even guitar...

I find especially if I'm not listening to any interesting or new music for a while I will also become disenchanted with playing guitar. And discovering some cool new stuff usually helps invigorate me again.

• Members

The last time I got a little bored, I ended up buying a bass
:)
It got me all interested again, and I spend my time as a mix between guitar and bass.

It's easy to get bored of something if you do it for a while, even guitar...

I find especially if I'm not listening to any interesting or new music for a while I will also become disenchanted with playing guitar. And discovering some cool new stuff usually helps invigorate me again.

i did the same thing.. luckly i didnt really get into the whole bass thing. pretty boring IMO. I picked up another guitar and it felt like home.

• Members

Yea well granted I have been playin as long as some of yall but recently I have been kinda sick of the whole badn deal-- one step ahead 4 steps back-- that has deterred me most this week-- but tonight oh man the Mesa will be fired up here shortly-- and those tubes glowing red hot-- I think its good for the soul to rest it every now and then. You never know what come out of it.

Archived