How many of you own an electric 12 string?

Magpel

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah Tedster - I completely agree. The "R" tailpiece is a PITB. They may look cool, but I think the old style would be far more practical.

Yeah, mine doesn't have the "R" tailpiece. It has the old style and it stays in tune much better, is easier to restring, etc.

A good friend of mine who now works at Rickenbacker has a pile of Rics, and he knows all the tricks for restringing guitars with the R tailpiece. He can do it really quickly - well, he has to, he must have 20 Rics by now. :lol: But there ARE ways to deal with it.

Yeah, mine doesn't have the "R" tailpiece. It has the old style and it stays in tune much better, is easier to restring, etc.

A good friend of mine who now works at Rickenbacker has a pile of Rics, and he knows all the tricks for restringing guitars with the R tailpiece. He can do it really quickly - well, he has to, he must have 20 Rics by now.
:lol:
But there ARE ways to deal with it.

I'll have to ask Kenny what the magic secret is to proper R tailpiece restringing. I'd probably play my 610 a lot more if the thought of restringing it didn't discourage me quite as much. ;)

BTW Lee, I got a MySpace bulletin from him saying he's getting ready to do some gigs - have you heard anything about that?

• Members

That sucks...Always wanted one.

They replaced it with the Sarasota (moving up the gulf coast apparently...) and the Bocas can still be had at MF (at least when I checked a few weeks) and on the 'bay, of course.

So if that is an "actionable" always wanted," act now!

Haven't had a chance to dig into the Eastwood yest, as I went on a three-day vacation literally hours after it arrived, but it passed the first test swimmingly. Later today, I will jangle.

• Members

Just got back from another C-List score - a 1982 Ricky 330/12 JetGlo. A bit kicked up cosmetically, but a perfect neck and amazing tone after a quick test through my old Bandmaster Reverb w/ G12H30 loaded TopHat 2x12.

Looking forward to having this one around the studio and for some of the jam type stuff one of my projects does. May even sell my '81 360/6 and just keep this one, perhaps string the 330 with just six strings at times and cover the same ground.

Fortunately, the strings are new, as it has the dreaded "R" tailpiece. But a hell of a deal for $500 w/ ohsc, original manual and receipt from Manny's in 1984 when it was purchased.

• Members

My Agile's outstanding value for yer dollar. Holds tune very well. Construction and fretwork excellent. Even the pots are good, they have good range and no crackle after hanging on my wall in a moderately dusty environment for 3 years. The only downer is the pickups, but I find I get good tone rolling back the volumes about 20% or so.

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

• Members

A good friend of mine who now works at Rickenbacker has a pile of Rics, and he knows all the tricks for restringing guitars with the R tailpiece. He can do it really quickly - well, he has to, he must have 20 Rics by now.
:lol:
But there ARE ways to deal with it.

Yeah, I hate Kenny...and anyone who doesn't have problems restringing the R tailpiece. (Mike Myers voice): He is the devil.

I DID figure out that wedging a Bic pen under the tailpiece to hold the strings in place helps...but even that isn't foolproof.

• Members

l_84bc73374ff3ba6d76c30c8951a24175.jpg Looky looky. Not a great shot, but that's why I'm a musician...

Might I add that the Hercules stand upon which my Eastwood stands is one of the very best non-sound producing musical purchases I've ever made, right up there with my NYC Pedalboard and a handful of others

Archived