What Gibson to go for: SG Supreme 2002 or LP Standard 97?

separanets

• Members

How do they play/sound?

Make sure to strap-on both...sg's can be neck heavy.

I'm a believer that neck pickups sound better with 22 and not 24 fret guitars like what is found on that supreme.

The supreme looks badass but the flashiness will get old quickly if it's not the guit for you...

• Members

The SG looks very nice. I'm hesitating which one to buy. As for the LP the seller says he needs money asap and he will miss his LP. There's also a new Music Man John Petruccy 6 for $1650 on sale right now. The MM also looks pretty attractive, but I've never played basswood guitars. So I have to choose one.

• Members

So.. you're trying to decide between an SG, Les Paul, or a Petrucci sig? It sounds to me like you're not really sure what you want, as those guitars are all pretty different. Why don't you hold on to your cash right now until you know what you want for sure :D

FWIW, I think I would be more interested in the Music Man. I'm sure it would be a cool guitar.

• Members

here is my take on it I love SG's but the Supreme is a bit more neck heavy than a standard SG it has 24 frets and the short neck joint. the LP is, well, a heavy old mans guitar IMO. so I would have to go SG but I think I would see if I could find a 61 reissue!! have you played them both??? LP's are HEAVY compaird to an SG!!

• Members

My looks alone I would go for sg. How ever that one is the only sg color arrangement that I have ever found appealing.

However IMHO if you want ALL AROUND versatility go with the LP. You want be disappointed!

However by what you have said in this thread I dont think you want to purchase any one of these guitars.

You need to hold on to your money right now and go play every single gibson in your price range you can. So you can figure which one you need and not want.

Also if you wait it could give you some more time to save some more money to get an even better piece of gibson history!!!

Good luck on whatever you do!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived