Been asked to give some lessons -- where to start!

curseoftruth

• Members

Well, I work with the youth group at my church and I constantly am being asked by some of them to give lessons. My schedule doesn't permit usually. Today, I was asked by one of the parents if I gave lessons, they have had a hard time finding a teacher. I'm no stranger to teaching in general (I've taught Sunday school for years, I am an assistant scout master, and I have taught classes at the college level). After discussing with the parent, I thought maybe twice a month I could pull some of the kids together up at the church and give an hour lesson. I wouldn't change for this, I am friends with all of their parents and know all of the kids really well. Three of the kids got guitars and amps for Christmas. There must have been a deal on Squier with Line 6 packages at GC!

Anywhoo, where to start. I don't want to get books but I'd rather teach them some fundamentals like basic chords, some progressions, and some simple scales and a few simple songs. I don't read music, so would be through tab. Anybody else teach basic guitar and what online resources do you use? I'd like to make sure I'm pushing them and progressing with each lesson. I'm a hack in reality, but good enough of a hack to get by.

• Members

Hard to teach beginners without a book.

They are kids, and in the classroom type setting, they wont be listening much. It is better if they have books so they can really absorb what little they pick up in the classroom when they are at home doing homework.

I encourage you to get some music books, and while you are teaching them music, you can learn to read music at the same time. They will learn more that will help them later on, and so will you.

Good luck

• Members

Hard to teach beginners without a book.

They are kids, and in the classroom type setting, they wont be listening much. It is better if they have books so they can really absorb what little they pick up in the classroom when they are at home doing homework.

I encourage you to get some music books, and while you are teaching them music, you can learn to read music at the same time. They will learn more that will help them later on, and so will you.

Good luck

Actually, I forgot to mention that all of the kids already read music and are pretty talented in band. Ages are 12-14 years old.

• Members

I teach about 40 students a week.

The first lesson consists of teaching them to understand basic Tab and Chord diagram reading.

Giving them at least one exercise written out in Tab, with all playing instructions notated in the margins. Also, one familiar song riff if they show an aptitude the first lesson.

They also all get at least E, A, & D written on a basic chord diagram with the proper fingerings.

I hand write everything at first and make sure they know that anything they need to absorb, has been written down.

Aside from that it really depends more on the individual as to how the lessons will evolve.

Archived