PIC REQUEST! LP Custom control cavity?

rog951

• Members

Pardon my Les Paul ignorance, but if your's is one of "Chambered" models, then there are some interesting photos here:

Good luck!

EDIT: FYI:

Thanks man but I already tried google images. I'm actually looking for something pretty specific and haven't been able to find it so far. To be precise, I want to see the the cavity of a mid 2000s Custom with the "CSxxxxx" ink stamp serial number. My cavity route is a little funky and I just wanted to see if it was just mine or not. Thanks though!

• Members

Could you please be more Custom Specific?

Is this an LP Custom or maybe an SG Custom (3 Pickups)

is this an American Custom?

Customize your needs!

Whoops. I forgot I'd posted this thread!

Looking for a control cavity pic of a Gibson Les Paul Custom from 2004 (I think that's when they moved production to the "Custom Shop") to present. NOT an SG-shaped guitar, but your usual LP custom. Somebody's gotta have one?

• Members

I have a 2004 Custom Shop Custom in Alpine White. I take a pic of the control cavity when I get home tonight.

I love you! :love: I really appreciate it! :thu:

BTW, please be careful with the screwdriver. wouldn't want you to scratch it on my account...

• Members

Thanks for the great pic guitarlady! That definitely answered one question I had: before they install the top, they're routing a channel in the guitar body for the wiring (instead of drilling like they did in the "old days"). I was almost positive of that anyway, but all I could find on google were pics of the drilled wire cavity. The routing on mine looks very similar to yours so I'm relieved about that. I was freaking myself out that maybe mine was a fake even though everything else looked fine.

The other weird thing in my control cavity is that there's a bunch of wood "hair" in the top portion of the route. It's like the router bit was on its last legs and just shredded the one cavity wall instead of cleanly routing it. Hard to believe Gibson would let it go out that way but the way they get bashed on here, maybe I shouldn't be surprised?

I see yours is a '68 reissue though so I wonder what differences there may be between my "plain vanilla" Custom and your RI. Hmmmm.

• Members

Thanks for the great pic guitarlady! That definitely answered one question I had: before they install the top, they're routing a channel in the guitar body for the wiring (instead of drilling like they did in the "old days"). I was almost positive of that anyway, but all I could find on google were pics of the drilled wire cavity. The routing on mine looks very similar to yours so I'm relieved about that. I was freaking myself out that maybe mine was a fake even though everything else looked fine.

The other weird thing in my control cavity is that there's a bunch of wood "hair" in the top portion of the route. It's like the router bit was on its last legs and just shredded the one cavity wall instead of cleanly routing it. Hard to believe Gibson would let it go out that way but the way they get bashed on here, maybe I shouldn't be surprised?

I see yours is a '68 reissue though so I wonder what differences there may be between my "plain vanilla" Custom and your RI. Hmmmm.

Glad that it helped. On the differences the '68 RI comes with '57 Classic pickups I think the regular Customs come with 498T/490R pickup and the '68 may have a wider neck and also comes in different finishes other than black, white, and cherry sunburst.

• Members

Thanks for the pic! Hmmm...one thing that is concerning me a little is that neither of you guys have "Gibson USA" branded pots. I'm almost positive that I do. Fatcat, is yours a '68RI too? I'll have to post a pic of mine too, but I've already gutted the electronics.

Archived