Input needed in Strat Mod: HSS or HH?

OptimusV6

• Members

Hi,

This is one of my first posts in this forum. Have been playing classical guitar since 1998, so bare with me as I am pretty new to electric guitars. I am modding a very cheap Strat copy (it says Kimaxe in the headstock, any info on the guitar? Plywood body? got it 10 years ago and have played it like 4 times) and I am not sure if I want to make it an HSS or an HH. I am thinking about buying a prewired pickguards from guitarfethish:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/duhuwhonwhpr.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/prewihupiblo.html

Now the question is... I just bought a MIM Tele ($299 on musicians'), so I dont want to have a Strat that sounds similar to the Tele. Would you just get two humbuckers to have a more "in your face guitar" (I've never heard a HH Strat), or get the HSS two be able to retain the clean tone of a strat-like guitar (anyway I can always use my Boss OD pedal to make the sound heavier)?

Thanks!

P.D. I know is a cheap guitar, that's why I don't want to spend a lot in mods, this is more like an experiment, before modding the Tele (MIA pick ups, 4 switch mod).

• Members

I have one of those 39 buck HH GFS pickguards in a strat copy. I also added a phase switch. I like it a lot! Kinda like an SG with tons of attitude, but it aint an SG. I speak from experience. It don't sound nothin' like my tele. The two "boys" give me all the tonal range I'll ever need. So WTF am I thinking about another guitar build? It's a disease.

• Members

So what's the difference between an HSS and a HH strat soundwise?

Well, basically the difference between Slash's lead/solo tone and Gilmour's tone on the first solo Comfortably Numb or his lead intro work on Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Not saying these kits will get you there, but that's the difference in a nutshell. In addition to the obvious fact that the H/S/S will give you literally more options including the neck+middle single combo that many folks love.

• Members

With the HSS you kinda get the best of both humbucker and single coil worlds. With the bridge humbucker you can get your typical heavy rock sounds. With the center and neck single coils you can get those awesome clean quacky strat sounds. Some may prefer the thicker sound of a bucker in the neck. It's certainly not a bad sound either. However, for sheer versatility, the HSS arrangement can't be beat.

• Members

A humbucker in the neck position has a very deep, even sound that can sometimes get a little muddy. Listen to just about any jazz guitarist, then listen to the Allman Brothers and you've pretty much got the entire range for a humbucker.

Single coils in the neck and mid can't get that big, even sound of a humbucker, but they covers a huge range that isn't possible any other way. The neck alone has a throaty, hollow kind of sound. Neck and Mid has a sort of nasally compressed sound that's great for strumming chords. The middle alone is bright and clear and has a real punchy attack.

Either way you go you'll get that pure rock n roll sound of the humbucker in the the bridge and the 'quack' of bridge and middle (or middle position on HH) but it's much more defined on an HSS.

I concur with everyone else here. HSS is the way to go. :thu: And don't worry about it sounding like a tele. As similar as they seem, teles and strats are two very different animals.

• Members

I just switched my Strat form HSS to HH...the HH suits me better, but that doesn't mean it's for everybody.

I just like the sound of humbuckers better.

The bridge is going to be the same either way though, correct?

Sure...if you're using the same pickup and it's wired the same way. If not...well...no.

Archived