D Tuna on a floating trem

J.Paul

• Members

What's the reasoning behind not being able to use a D Tuna on a floating tremolo??

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-DTuna-Drop-D-Tuning-System?sku=361390

Is it because of the wood physically blocking the screw from recessing? If I wanted my trem to float and be able to pull up, couldn't I just have the wood routed out (on that string) so that the screw could go into the body?

Am I missing something?

• Members

A floating trem relies on string tension being equal to spring tension to keep everything in tune.

If you have a D-tuner on a floating trem, you are decreasing string tension, which means that spring tension is now greater than string tension, and the trem will tilt back causing the other strings to go slightly sharp.

• Members

On a full-floating bridge I'd think the D-Tuna's sudden tension change might throw things out of whack. But what do I know, I don't use trems!

maybe you don't, but you are right. You cannot, on a floating tremolo, change the tension of 1 string without affecting the other strings.

• Members

A floating trem relies on string tension being equal to spring tension to keep everything in tune.

If you have a D-tuner on a floating trem, you are decreasing string tension, which means that spring tension is now greater than string tension, and the trem will tilt back causing the other strings to go slightly sharp.

^^^

This.

Plus, if you were to pull back on the trem, you'd wack the dTuna against the body.

You can use it if you block the trem so that it doesn't pull back (raise pitch) anymore. I personally never liked fully-floating trems, anyway. Nothing I can't do with my fingers. LOL

• Members

Plus, if you were to pull back on the trem, you'd wack the dTuna against the body.

OP originally stated:

couldn't I just have the wood routed out (on that string) so that the screw could go into the body?

• Members

I missed that... But why go through the trouble if it's not going to work right otherwise?

Who says it not going to work right? If you install the tremol-no that I suggested, you full full range of use from the trem and the d tuna...

The tremol-no would allow you to have full float, dive only, and blocked...and in the blocked position, the d tuna would work as it's supposed to.

• Members

Who says it not going to work right? If you install the tremol-no that I suggested, you full full range of use from the trem and the d tuna...

The tremol-no would allow you to have full float, dive only, and blocked...and in the blocked position, the d tuna would work as it's supposed to.

in theory if you block the trem to dive only it should work. i have a friend who tried the tremol-no and thought that if he just put it in the blocked position and used the d-tuna it would work when it went back to floating position. it didn't

• Members

i have a friend who tried the tremol-no and thought that if he just put it in the blocked position and used the d-tuna it would work when it went back to floating position. it didn't

Huh? Are you saying that he put it in the blocked position, then flipped the d tuna to drop it to d, then unblocked it and tried to use it as a free floating trem in dropped d? Of course that wouldn't work...

• Members

I just don't like floating trems.
:)
Both of my Floyds sit right against the wood.

I prefer floating, but my axis is blocked which makes it a perfect candidate for the d-tuna. I just can't seem to find one that is cheap enough for me to buy it. :lol: That's just not $40 worth of anything in it.

• Members

I prefer floating, but my axis is blocked which makes it a perfect candidate for the d-tuna. I just can't seem to find one that is cheap enough for me to buy it.
:lol:
That's just not $40 worth of anything in it.

You can achieve the same effect by just tuning to E with the fine tuner tightened down almost all the way to the bridge. That should give you enough room to just back it off to D. It doesn't take too many turns to drop from E to D on the lowest string.

It's just a little faster with the D-Tuna.

They do work great though. I've wanted to get another as I have 3 guitars with blocked Floyds and only two D-Tunas (I have two Wolfgangs that came with D-Tunas).

• Members

I prefer floating, but my axis is blocked which makes it a perfect candidate for the d-tuna. I just can't seem to find one that is cheap enough for me to buy it.
:lol:
That's just not $40 worth of anything in it.

The Axis setup is my preferred setup. It's just like my Wolfgang and Frankenstein. I'm eventually going to build a Strat with a Floyd with the same setup, including yet another dTuna.

• Members
You can achieve the same effect by just tuning to E with the fine tuner tightened down almost all the way to the bridge. That should give you enough room to just back it off to D. It doesn't take too many turns to drop from E to D on the lowest string.

It's just a little faster with the D-Tuna.

They do work great though. I've wanted to get another as I have 3 guitars with blocked Floyds and only two D-Tunas (I have two Wolfgangs that came with D-Tunas).

That's funny because I actually just semi-trie that out the other night and got pretty close, I know that setting it up like you said would probably work well. I just kind of like the idea of the d-tuna because I don't play in drop D very much, but I know that if it is just a flick away I'll get into it.

Archived