EPI SPECIAL II UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!

guitarheo3

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm following this thread very closely. You seem to be around my age and refinishing what seems to be your first guitar. I'm soon going to be doing practically the same (I'm even planning on using Krylon paint). The differences are that mine is a Squier, I'm replacing my neck with a Fender MIM "Squier Series" neck (getting the best of both worlds, more playable neck and fewer piece body as many MIMs can be 5-piece or more), and I will post everything when I'm done.

No build thread for you guys. Although if enough object, I'll post the current state of the build when I get the new neck.

Great idea about the beveling the sides. Helps so that the edge doesn't cut into your arm.

Mine was disassembled a long time ago and I had to hand strip the finish (chipping it off with a razor blade after hand sanding took too long, took off a finger-sized chunk of wood on the front edge :eek: and had to pile on filler :facepalm: ) My dad chewed me out on it, suggesting I could have left it alone and sold it :freak: but I would only get ~$120 and if I added that to the money set aside for this project all I would be able to buy is another Squier.

• Members

cool^^^! so heres the pictures guitar noobie requested.
prime.jpg' alt='>'>
this is the body all taped. kinda hard to tell the cream just looks white but itll look good.
prime3.jpg' alt='>'>
and the neck

its been windy here so no paintn till atleast tomorrow:mad:.

if this project turns out good maybe ill take a try at paintn my ibanez a confederate flag and call it "the patriot":cop:

• Members

if this project turns out good maybe ill take a try at paintn my ibanez a confederate flag and call it "the patriot":cop:

I don't see an Ibanez in your sig :idk:

Here's the crappy hand-strip job I have so far:

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

And with the Squier neck, a bit thick for my tastes:

unfinishedbody.jpg

Very uneven too. I'll be probably using more primer to make it all even. In addition I received a heavier/better but narrower trem and had to redrill (sorry, not even drill but fill the holes and try to screw it straight into the wood, I was doing much of this behind my father's back) the holes and use filler to hide the gap that the old bridge covered. (Ignore the red superstrat body with the floyd sitting around, that's a future project that will require intense soldering work and a 22-fret shred-type neck).

More differences I realized:

-Your stripping job was far easier, my Strat body was a nightmare especially in the cutaways

-I only have to finish the body, you are refinishing the neck too

-You can probably handle the yellowing with your color choice, I don't want my planned blue turning green so I have to get a different clear coat

-I am replacing the pickguard on mine, yours doesn't have a pickguard and you are probably re-installing your pickups and hardware?

I am still awaiting the arrival of the nut at the store so the owner (to whom the neck was sold to, it came with a nut with a chunk missing and can't hold the low E) can install the nut so I can try a second dry fit.

On the left my Squier pre-disassembly:

myinstruments.jpg

No thread until I obtain my paints though.

(had internet outage for a little and had to wait to post this one)

• Members
I don't see an Ibanez in your sig
:idk:

Here's the crappy hand-strip job I have so far:

And with the Squier neck, a bit thick for my tastes:

Very uneven too. I'll be probably using more primer to make it all even. In addition I received a heavier/better but narrower trem and had to redrill (sorry, not even drill but fill the holes and try to screw it straight into the wood, I was doing much of this behind my father's back) the holes and use filler to hide the gap that the old bridge covered. (Ignore the red superstrat body with the floyd sitting around, that's a future project that will require intense soldering work and a 22-fret shred-type neck).

-Your stripping job was far easier, my Strat body was a nightmare especially in the cutaways

-You can probably handle the yellowing with your color choice, I don't want my planned blue turning green so I have to get a different clear coat

-I am replacing the pickguard on mine, yours doesn't have a pickguard and you are probably re-installing your pickups and hardware?

I am still awaiting the arrival of the nut at the store so the owner (to whom the neck was sold to, it came with a nut with a chunk missing and can't hold the low E) can install the nut so I can try a second dry fit.

On the left my Squier pre-disassembly:

No thread until I obtain my paints though.

(had internet outage for a little and had to wait to post this one)

Epic candy apple red.
Epic Epi.

• Members

Epic candy apple red.

Epic Epi.

Thanks, because:

-The candy apple red superstrat body is plywood. Got it free from the shop where I'm getting my Fender neck. Relatively dinged and chipped, bridge is GFS licensed Floyd (bought $40 off this place). Not being worked on because of money issues.

-The Epiphone Les Paul Studio is no longer made in sunburst finishes, (no) thanks to the VM's.

To myself: Epic fail on stripped Strat, might need sanding sealer? Also, the parts that will be assembled to make this are in pre-relic-ed condition. Full working order but showing signs of wear.

• Members
I don't see an Ibanez in your sig
:idk:

i just havent goton around to putting it in my sig. (alittle embaresed of it actuall cuz it has crappy paint chips and the floyd is raised way outa the routing with the claw tightened all the way but just wanted a floyd guitar for $120)

the stripp ing was easier probly due to the power sander
and i am puttn like a jr ish prs se oneish pickguard inthere to cover up the neck pup hole.

• Members

i just havent goton around to putting it in my sig. (alittle embaresed of it actuall cuz it has crappy paint chips and the floyd is raised way outa the routing with the claw tightened all the way but just wanted a floyd guitar for $120)

the stripp ing was easier probly due to the power sander

and i am puttn like a jr ish prs se oneish pickguard inthere to cover up the neck pup hole.

Forgot about that, if it was in the thread.

The red superstrat after the Squier rebuild is going to serve me the same purpose as your Ibanez, being the Floyded shredder.

• Members

so got home from school at bout 5:00pm with only 25 minutes of light left so it taped the top near the edges incase of overspray and started the leather brown. heres the pics taken in the dark with flask on so it looks brighter but still good.
bro3.jpg' alt='>'>
bro2.jpg' alt='>'>
bro1.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

k i need to stop doing this. got home w? 20 minutes of light and started the gold. wen putting it on realised it was nt staying put so sprayed mor. now ive ended up w/a gold with a thick coat. &*%$!!! so tomorrow will be bonding w/the sander again.

but it sure does look pretty just uneven.

Archived