I left my guitar in the cold. DAMAGE!

JordanPemberton

• Members

You've only got to worry about it if you left the guitar in the trunk of your car in -8 temps, then brought it inside to 71 degrees. Repeatedly. The original tree it came from didn't undergo that kind of thermal shock...while it was nitro-coated and centerline glued together and under tension from steel wires and had holes drilled in it for strap buttons and neck mounting bolts.

• Members

Anyone?

If the guitar was in your 71 degree basement and you took it to your 72 degree main floor, its not going to get hot at all... Its going to be exposed to heat that is 1 degree warmer....

I thought you were going to say that you left the guitar in the car overnight or something. The temperature in your house is regulated.

• Members

Anyone?

Huh? I thought we already concluded this issue for you?

A one degree temperature change will not hurt your guitar.

If you did in fact leave it in -8 degree cold overnight like you initially claimed and then brought it into your 72 degree home, then I would have it inspected. But now you're saying you never left it in -8 degree cold at all, so why does this thread even exist?

:confused:

• Members

rapid hot/cold changes endanger lacquer and temporarily mess with neck relief. your ibanez isn't lacquered, no worries there. neck relief will work itself out as temperature stabilizes.

humidity hurts wood and glue. extreme cold temps usually means extremely dry air. too wet or too dry can cause huge problems with acoustics with unfinished insides and natural glues (braces can pop off, etc.), but it's not a huge concern for electrics that are completely covered with catalyzed finishes like urethane or polyester.

Archived