Amp match for overwound strat..

GaijinGweilo

• Members

i recieved a Vintage Advance series (AV6H) fat-strat in the mail this week, in the little blurb on the website it says the single coils are overwound to compensate for the humbucker in the bridge.

Now, i have a 335 & a Marshall DSL, this thing doesn't compare to the sound of those two combined, i also have a Telecaster (Keith Richard tuning) into a Vox Pathfinder 10, it sounds 'different' from that clean, but much thinner in tone (not neccessarily better, not necessarily worse either just a difference in flavour)

I'm wondering what type of low-wattage/low gain tube amp i could get that would be a good match for a very 'quacky', overwound fat-strat. Like i said, the humbucker in it isn't as good as my 335's, its far too trebly for the marshall high-gain of the DSL, but the Strat might be perfect for something like a fender combo that does some good proper medium-distortion.

I've got a good clean sound i like, & i got a good high-gain distortion sound that i love, so now i guess i'm after a someway medium (possibly a garage-rock or blues sound) between the two, along the lines of maybe Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler & others (finger-plucking the strat sounds exactly like Sultans of Swing into clean of either the DSL or Vox) but i'm looking for slightly more gain than that particular sound, & neither of those amps cover that low-gain middle ground with any success.

What would be a good 5 to 15 watt tube amp that's a good match for an overwound fat-strat? Possibly a Fender Champ 600?

Also, i saw the Fame GTA 15 before;

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Fame-GTA-15-Combo-/art-GIT0007942-000

its supposed to be a direct copy of the Pro Junior for cheaper, but i can't seem to find a supplier with a website in english...

edit: yeah, mind the spelling mistakes, i tend to correct as i go along

• Members

Fender Twin Reverb should do you right.

I'd love to have a twin, TRULY i would... but they clock in at around 120 watts don't they? i'm much more in need of a 15 & below-type wattage, something that can keep up with my DSL (which is the 20 watt version) but won't go super-incredibly loud when i have the master turned up (this is only really for home use after all, the DSL is what i use primarily for gigging).

I figured Fender mainly because they seem to have a lower 'percieved' volume, compared to say, a Marshall.

What's the closest sound you can get to a Twin @ under 20 watts? (if anything)

• Members

I'll possibly get a champ actually, but i'm not sure what the brand-new reissue ones are like.

The 600 sucks. A valve junior is 10 times the amp, but that's not saying much.

Vox is also coming out with a 5 watter, which may or may not be a contender.

Get a vintage champ, it's worth the price. Silverface, 70's. 6V6 overdrive is SO different from EL84 OD it's not even close. A 6V6 drives like a big amp does, but quieter. EL84s remind me more of preamp gain, mroe compressed, janglier, not the plain BALLS of other power tube distortion.

• Members

Get a vintage champ, it's worth the price. Silverface, 70's. 6V6 overdrive is SO different from EL84 OD it's not even close. A 6V6 drives like a big amp does, but quieter. EL84s remind me more of preamp gain, mroe compressed, janglier, not the plain BALLS of other power tube distortion.

yes, a 6v6 vibe is definately what i'm after, I have el84's in the DSL but i run them super-hot at all times with the master over half (& that's after the gain on full with a treble-booster) but that's by no means a 'subtle' overdrive :p

My DSL is no good at subtle, but great at high-gain.

So yeah, i'll take that advice to heart.

Edit: i had a Valve Junior once, El84's don't make for good single-ended 5 watters imo, there was no tone/soul in that thing.

• Members

Also, i saw the Fame GTA 15 before;

its supposed to be a direct copy of the Pro Junior for cheaper, but i can't seem to find a supplier with a website in english...

musicstore.de is the only place you'll get them from, the tube amps are (or at least the more expensive models used to be) made by Laboga, and some of them are basically the same as some Laboga amps but a lot cheaper.

They have an English version of their website also:

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/GBP/ViewApplication-DisplayWelcomePage

• Members

The Champ 600 is a good amp for what it is. It doesn't do band loud, but it is loud enough, I personally think it sounds best dimed and controlling the volume soley from the guitar's volume control.

It does not sound like a quieter Twin, or a Deluxe. But it does sound pretty good. Remember that it's a single pre-amp tube and single power tube, so it's going to sound different from larger amps even at the same volume. I had one, and I wanted to swap out the stock speaker, but never got around to it and sold it because it didn't get much play time. Heck, I just put up my other amps on Craigslist because I play through my Princeton most of the time.

If you have the cash, a DRRI or PRRI would be great choices. I prefer them to the Twin myself. Then again, I've only been able to run a Twin at high volumes a few short times.

• Members

The silverface champion, as I said, sounds JUST like a little bassman, clean or dirty. Full volume, it's a cranked bassman. And no, it won't get over a drummer, my V18 can drown it out easy.

The champ 600 sounds like a boxy little amp. It's lo fi, honky, and it's allright for slide, but mostly, I think it sucks.

But yeah, deluxe is the best low-watt twin there is.

• Members

Cheers for all the suggestions, these are some good ones!

How about the new XD series's, how does the clean channel on the Super Champ XD (the one minus the DSP) measure up to a Silverface champ?

Considering i think they go for about the same price, except that one is brand new.

• Members

Correct me, but I believe that the DSP is 'engaged' for all settings (i.e. both channels) on the SCXD. I have both the SCXD and the Blues Jr. I love the variety that the SCXD allows. It goes from clean to dirty and can get loud. Overall I like both, but I still have a preference for the true tube sound of the Jr.

• Members

Yeah, even on the 'non voiced' channel, it's not like it switches over to being a straight tube amp or anything.

But, I think there are lots of neat tones in the XD amps. I'd personally take one miles over the current little Champ 600.

Archived