Series/Parallel Strat Switching?

strtdv

• Members

I bought a push/pull pot today with the intention of using it as a series/parallel switch in my strat.

The main problem is I don't know the first thing about electronics :facepalm:

Basically I want to get this:

Switch down: regular strat

Switch up:

Position 1: Bridge

Position 2: Bridge and middle in series

Position 3: Middle

Position 4: Middle and neck in series

Position 5: Neck

Is this possible? At the very least I want a switch that turns position 2 into Bridge and Middle in series, but if possible I'd like to be able to get the neck and middle in series too.

I've found a couple of schematics, but I'm not sure if any of them do what I want.

Any schematics you've tried would be great.

• Members

I could be proved wrong, but it can't be done--at least not with a standard 5-way Strat switch and the standard push-pull pot.

I have done something similar to what you want, but with a Tele 4-way switch (mounted in a Strat), and a push-pull pot.

I don't have a drawing of that now, but if it's something you think you might want to do, I'll get a drawing together.

This switch might have potential (I'd have to work-out the details to be sure), when used with the push-pull:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/2/Megaswitches.html

• Members

Try it and see if it works. Series wiring is a bit tricky due to grounding. The ground from one pickup has to feed into the positive side of the other. I wired a strat for series using three seperate little toggle switches. It works, but remembering all of the different combinatiouns (13 in all) is so complicated I took that loaded pickguard off, replaced it, and it's laying in a drawer now. I found there was also a grounding hum I just couldn't get rid of. I've done the 4-way tele switches with series in position 4.. that works well.

• Members
Thanks.

I've found what looks like a fairly simple setup that just gives you the bridge and middle in series, but that's the main thing that I'm looking for.

Does this look about right?

strat_bridge_and_middle_series_switch.jp

Pffft!

You didn't tell me I was to allowed to give you a "No Connection" position.

Any amateur can come-up with a switching scheme that lets them have a "No Connection" position.

My artistic integrity has been offended and I must leave now.

• Members

Er, OK?

I think it should work.

Presumably the no connection thing means I have a killswitch on the guitar too?

I've heard of ground hum can be a problem but apparantly if your guitar is shielded (mine is), then you can cut any ground wires between pots, as they are electrically connected anyway, and this prevents ground loops.

Having my guitar shielded has got rid of most of the hum anyway.

• Members

I got this diagram form one of the guys at the seymour duncan forum. There is a lot going on but the push pull for the neck and middle can be done for the bridge and middle. those mini switches are just on/off switches for each pickup.

hermeticoshssmodx1sdrn7.jpg

Archived