Help me decide on an SX, SST57, KY1, SJM

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Woody,

Can't tell you which to choose but I can say that I have a SJM that I am very happy with.

My mods have been a new pickguard (looks great but cost me about half what the guitar costs) and when ordering the guard I lowered the VOL knob a bit. I know most don't seem bothered by where it is but I kept hitting it. Also dropped in some Wilkinson EZlok tuners.

sxsjm.jpg

• Members
Woody,

Can't tell you which to choose but I can say that I have a SJM that I am very happy with.

My mods have been a new pickguard (looks great but cost me about half what the guitar costs) and when ordering the guard I lowered the VOL knob a bit. I know most don't seem bothered by where it is but I kept hitting it. Also dropped in some Wilkinson EZlok tuners.

sxsjm.jpg

Zerostreet,

It looks great with the tort pick guard. Where did you get it?

That was one thing I was thinking was a plus for the strat - parts swapping will be easier. But the SJM is unique.

- w

• Members

JJ,

Thanks. As I recall you have a SJM with P90's? From what I have heard the SJM's do get attention from people.

- w

yes - I've owned 4, all with P90s.

one was one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned, sent it to be refinned by a forumite who died, and I never got it back

another was one that Minitruth here led a charge to give me to replace that one - it was a stoptail, and a good quality guitar, but wasn't the diamond the other one was - I put her up as a raffle prize here

another was from the first batch of 57s, maple board - I bought it used, and it came with the most issues of any of them - the trem lock was missing, IIRC the frets weren't as well finished as some of the others

I put some work into her and after more attention than any of the others needed, she turned out a pretty good guitar - she now lives with Kevman and Dustball

the one I still have is the first one I got - not as nice as the best one, but worn in to fit me now - played the most shows with this one, recorded a lot with her, good damn guitar - she goes to my pal Chas if he loses his guitar like he's worried about, otherwise she stays with me

I rattlecan the PGs black rather than spending the money on customs

I like the buzz stop on the trem models because I'm a fairly hard strummer and it helps the strings stay in the saddle - the hardtail/TOM setup doesn't have this worry, nor do players with a more "mature" touch

the p90s are great for dirty rock n roll - some people get them to clean up pretty well, too - I don't know if I know how, that's why I have acoustic

• Members

^^^
JJ,

None of my (many) guitars have trem. That was actually something that would be a plus on the SST, and/or KY1 - a chance to mess around with a trem, and see what I could make of it. Now I think I could put a trem in later for about $30 (GFS) - but I'm thnking why not wait and get it built in at the factory.

btw - good idea on rattlecanning the pick guard. white on white seems too much white to me. Needs some black contrast.

- w

• Members

Woody,

The guard is from pickguardian.com. It's pricey in relation the the SJM price but it is damn pretty! I sent them the original with the new Volume hole drilled out to use as a template.

JJ...I've had the notion to paint a pickguard before. How durable is the finish using a spray can?....altho' I guess you can always spray it with another shot when needed...

• Members

http://www.northcoastmusic.com/buzzstop/

http://www.jag-stang.com/JaguarHtml/bridgeMod.php

http://www.jag-stang.com/tomMod.php

For God's sake, don't tape a jag/jazz/mustang bridge (or, God forbid, use a tune-o-matic - serious radius issues there) unless it's your last option. The floating system is where all the magic is, and there are lots of internet resources on how to properly set them up. It's pretty easy once you figure it out, and there's nothing like a good one.

www.offsetguitars.com/forums

• Members
For God's sake, don't tape a jag/jazz/mustang bridge (or, God forbid, use a tune-o-matic - serious radius issues there) unless it's your last option. The floating system is where all the magic is, and there are lots of internet resources on how to properly set them up. It's pretty easy once you figure it out, and there's nothing like a good one.

www.offsetguitars.com/forums

:cool:

• Members

I just wanted to post an update for those that have been watching this thread. While I was trying to decide which SX to buy, a First Act VE591 (w/ built in pre-amp/gain) fell in my lap. I just missed getting one of these when J&R was blowing them out - but I missed the deal by a day. I have been wanting one ever since. So...

I am delaying my SX purchase. But I have been watching the B stocks at Rondo, and will probably will grab the first suitable SST with P90's, or SJM w/ P90's. I expect I will do a review once I get an SX. I'll buy the SX after I sell my Xaviere Tele.

Thanks again to all who contributed, and helped with my questions.

- Woody

Archived