The Gods are smiling down on me. (Fender Rhodes Content)

Jimbroni

• Members

So I have this old fender rhodes 72 or 73 ish. Its was beat up when I got it for a trade for an old hartke bass head, that I didn't use. Anyway, the last year or so I've been going thru vintage Keys to get parts to make it play better. Replaced all the dampers, cleaned the wiring a bit, cleaned all the gunk out of the hammers. Its is in fine playing condition right now, except 3 of the hammers are a bit stretched at the hinge point so they wobble and thus stick here and there. So I ordered four new hammers and the 73rd tine which was missing. After I get the parts and replace them this rhodes will be in great playing condition. I just order the stuff so today I'm patiently waiting so this project which was quite challenging will finally be finished.

So today, my drummer calls me (who is a handy man) and says hey I'm helping someone move and guess what they gave us a fender rhodes. I just checked it out, it is in perfect condition. The action is great its a '78 model I think. And it has the travel case, which happened to have a boss stereo chorus pedal in it.

When it rains it pours, I guess.

• Members

naw!! Call me greedy, but now I'll have a rhodes for the studio and a rhodes for the practice space.

Its the irony of it all that kills me. I finally get around to putting the finishing touches on my rhodes, and somebody hands me another one that requires zero maintenance. I'm thrilled beyond belief, but shaking my head at the same time.

• Members

That's amazing. There's just something about fixing up your own instruments that is so incredibly satisfying. I bought a Wurlitzer 200A from a thrift store for $40 that was missing 3 tines, bought replacements online for about $70 and tuned them myself and viola, I paid about $100 for an instrument that sells for $500+.

• Members

I have '79 era suitcase. The piano is in fantastic shape. However the amp will not power up. This is a new twist. The amp too was in great shape. I am thinking it is either the caps or just the on/off switch. I think it is the switch because it is not lighting. If power went to the switch and not the output, then it would be the caps. Anyone have any thoughts, and where can I get a switch?

• Members

I get all my Rhodes parts from here. http://www.vintagevibe.com/

Neither of my rhodes have the built in amp, both are "stage 73" models. So I can't really offer much advice. Do you have a mulimeter? You can check for voltage before and after the switch to determine if there is a short. Me, I would think it wise to take into a local amp fixer guy, because short of going thru the electronics with a fine tooth comb(multimeter that is) and checking every component. You maybe looking for a needle in haystack.

Before you get too crazy, you can check for fuses or you can check if the speaker is blown. Sometimes amps have protection circuits to prevent ohm overload when a speaker is blown.

• Members

That's amazing. There's just something about fixing up your own instruments that is so incredibly satisfying. I bought a Wurlitzer 200A from a thrift store for $40 that was missing 3 tines, bought replacements online for about $70 and tuned them myself and viola, I paid about $100 for an instrument that sells for $500+.

Yeah as a result I feel more attached to the first one, which I have ressurrected and am now putting final touches on. That and its is an actual FENDER rhodes from fullerton CA. The second is a Rhodes not with the fender name, but has the same design except plastic hammers. And It plays like a dream. So perhaps I will not be so pressured now to get old one up and running so fast and take my time getting it into even better condition.

Archived