Blocking up the pickup cavities on an HSH Strat?

Mr Songwriter

• Members

...Has anyone ever tried doing this? I'm not planning to change the stock SSS pickups on my American Strat, but it's routed for HSH, and listening to it acoustically you can hear that characteristic sound coming from the unsupported parts of the pickguard, so I was wondering if anyone had ever attempted to convert the body back to an SSS rout, eg by cutting out blocks of wood to slot in to the holes (quite a tricky job I'd imagine)

• Members

If you can hear the difference in guitars routed HSH and SSS, you are an alien freak of nature. Seriously. Eric Johnson freaky.

If it is that big of an issue for you, buy a replacement body.

+1

you can't hear a difference. Sorry.

• Members

You answered your own question. The only way to do it would be to cut out individual blocks of wood to fill the holes, remove the finish from the cavities, glue the filler blocks in, clamp them, rout them, plane them, and refinish the guitar. It would be a ridiculous amount of work for little or no benefit.

• Members

You answered your own question. The only way to do it would be to cut out individual blocks of wood to fill the holes, remove the finish from the cavities, glue the filler blocks in, clamp them, rout them, plane them, and refinish the guitar. It would be a ridiculous amount of work for little or no benefit.

Well if I was going to make that modification, I don't think I'd go to the trouble of removing the finish or glueing the blocks in, I'd probably just cut the blocks to the correct depth and slot them in, then screw the pickguard back on to clamp the blocks in place * and I wouldn't be expecting a night and day difference in sound either, but I do have two Strat type guitars that have that particular pickguard/routing arrangement and three others that don't, and the three that don't have noticeably better sustain than the Strats. The difference in sound is kind of subtle, but it reminds me a little bit of the sound you get when you rest the headstock against a door or a wooden wall.

Edit: * Actually, based on comments I've read elsewhere, it might be a better idea (sustainwise) to drill holes in the filler blocks and screw the pickup screws into them.

Archived