RIP Pink Floyd's Rick Wright

bp

• Members

While I like the Wall that is definitely not what I call the prime of band, its where the band had changed from the band into Roger Waters Vs David Gilmour.

DSOTM was the OPUS, but the band I'm refering to is your Piper's, Atom Heart Mother's, meddle, Umma Gumma, etc.

• Members

I was cute, wasn't I? Unfortunately the years have taken their toll. But on the plus side, I do have a beautiful wife. So there's some justice, at least :)

I had the 'cool British accent' (even though Britain is in fact made up of several countries, one of which is England ;)) even before I was born. That's what comes of living in Notlob city limits :idea:

But hey, this thread is about Rick Wright. Shine on you friend of a crazy diamond :cool:

• Members

Dig this, Dean: I saw the LONDON PREMIERE of THE WALL in Leicester Square in 1980 in Septaphonic sound... I STILL didn't "get" 'em.... I walked out at the end of the movie, having no idea what I'd just seen.

The movie definitely shouldn't be used to judge the album. From what I understand it was a very disjoint project with everyone arguing about what it should be and lots of ego clashing and so forth. But the album is great. I just completely disappeared into that album many a time. It was of course FAR darker than Dark Side, but I appreciate those kinds of distopian epics.

• Members

They're a bit of a polarizing band, which doesn't detract from Wright's legacy--quite the contrary! Who among us wouldn't kill to be in a likewise polarizing band?

For me, DSOTM and everything before it is cool. The Wall is ghastly, FOR ME....although, oddly, "Comfortably Numb" is one one of my favorite Floyd tracks.

It's funny that in Saul's "three best prog albums" thread, mere days ago, I had playfully dissed Richard Wright for some interminable, noodling bluesy organ solos I had heard on some Floyd boots from the early '70s. And now this. Fact is, I totally dig him as a textural player, and that's what he'll be known for--his EP playing on "Time" is every bit as quintessential a part of that distinctive Floyd Groove as Nick Mason's laggy, half-time pocket....which I also dig, ha.

Ah, there is also this bittersweet sense of our lives and time passing from the earth. Getting to that age, you know.

• Members
I never understood 'em.
:idk:
Their music just always seemed dark, cryptic, insular and druggie to me.

I used to be a dark, cryptic, insular and (soon to be) druggie kid listening to Atom Heart Mother in my room in a suitcase turntable, with a red lightbulb on. In other life, it seems now.

:cry:

Archived