Why a tele with a humbucker in the neck?

T0MCAT

• Members

I've got around 700-800 bucks I can spare (well not really but you know how it is). I was eyeing a black Fender Custom Tele, it looks really cool. But a humbucker in the neck seems to defeat the purpose of a tele or a strat. I like the sound of a single coil in the neck. I'm going to go play this thing today, and some other teles and strats as well. Anyway, I play mostly acoustic so I'm kind of lost.

Any thoughts or advice? Also what type of bridge should I get, the one with the three brass sadles or the newer type?

Thanks

• Members

dang buy my tele, im going to sell it for 750 and it is the secks, hardcase and lifetime maintenance too.

alot of people dont like that tele neck pickup (me being one of them) i like a warm jazzy tone, and those things are too clappy and twangy for me, now if you are into blue grass/upbeat blues etc. they are great, but not for me.

• Members

Any thoughts or advice? Also what type of bridge should I get, the one with the three brass sadles or the newer type?

The purists like the 3-saddle type, but I prefer correct intonation so I use the 6-saddle type. Personally, I cannot hear the difference.

You can get the special slanted saddles for better intonation with 3 saddles as aftermarket parts if you want the best of both.

• Members

dang buy my tele, im going to sell it for 750 and it is the secks, hardcase and lifetime maintenance too.

alot of people dont like that tele neck pickup (me being one of them) i like a warm jazzy tone, and those things are too clappy and twangy for me, now if you are into blue grass/upbeat blues etc. they are great, but not for me.

This. The stock tele pickup is just too thin and brittle-sounding for a lot of players. I like a p90 or bright humbucker in the neck - and if you've got one with a coil tap it'll get pretty close to the stock sound also.

• Members

I like minibuckers in a Tele but they have a completely different sound than regular humbuckers.

:thu:

A mini in the neck position of a Tele gives you the best of BOTH worlds! They just sound soooooo fooooooking smooooooth!!!

I prefer three barrel bridges but they are more difficult to intonate. I have those adjustable brass saddles so it was pretty easy to get intonation perfect.

TBSA_sm_.jpg

• Members

I never understood why anyone would put a humbucker anywhere on a tele. Kind of defeats the purpose of a tele, imo.

I have to agree. The single coil neck sounds pretty nice to me. Of course you have to spend quite a bit of time EQing and playing around with the volume and tone to get what you're after. But that's part of the fun! I've also just realized this weekend what a huge affect the amp volume vs. guitar volume can have on tone. Played around with that a bit and got some very pleasing sounds!

• Members

I used to think a tele neck bucker was like tits on a bull too.

Until I played one.

I've got an obscure tele clone, a "Tradition", with a neck humbucker.

It's the best neck pickup I have on any guitar I own, and I've got a bunch.

The thing is just sweet, and splittable to boot, just amazing tones to be had.

Way more versatile than the typical low powered, covered tele neck pickup.

• Members

I never understood why anyone would put a humbucker anywhere on a tele. Kind of defeats the purpose of a tele, imo.

If you don't like a 'bucker in the neck position of a Tele, don't buy it. There's only a million other Telecasters out there that have a single coil instead to suit you. :cop:

That said, I think a Tele with a neck humbucker and coil tap can be really versatile and can get you a lot of neat tones. But I'll acknowledge that at the end of the day, it all comes down to individual preference.

• Members

Different sounds. Generally a humbucker in the neck of a Tele would be darker. One band I can think of off the top of my head that use humbuckers in the neck are Death Cab For Cutie. Ben uses a Tele with a neck humbucker and it suits their soumnd a lot better than say a bright chimey single coil would. All a matter of preferance.

• Members

With a splittable pup, you can have both.
:thu:

Yeah, it's the way to go I think. The guy that posted the Blue Telecaster with the two Seymour Duncan's I believe is a coil splitting guitar. I had one that was made in Korea, it was a pretty sweet guitar. Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates with coil splitting. That's not a traditional Tele at all though and I think that's the argument here in this thread?

• Members

I'm not really a tele guy, but I'm also not much of a HB in the neck position guy either. BUT... over the weekend I played two Blade guitars. One was a tele with a fairly low output splittable HB in the neck and it was all KINDS of tasty. Not so much the neck HB split, but the full neck HB was outstanding, the neck split with the bridge was absolutely outstanding. It also had the in fretboard acoustic thing going on which sounds great.

I mostly play a strat and mostly on the neck single coil. But different strokes, man. HB in the neck of a tele is a pretty classic combo. Why the hate?

Archived