Guitar Heel question for builders

Beckman

• Members

I have been wanting to build a guitar for quite some time. I think the first thing I will do is get a warmoth neck and body, and put one together.

My question is, can I make an AANJ type heel with their pre-made bodies and necks? They seem to have the holes already cut. I would buy off the screamin' deals stock. Could I put a dowel in the hole and sand it down?

Here is what I mean for the heel:

modern_orange_2_lo.jpg

I like the feel of this better than the square Fender type heel. This picture is off of the Suhr modern 24. I would also be interested in the Deluxe Strat Heel. I know I can not use the Warmoth Pro neck because the truss rod adjustment screw is out the side.

Thanks!

• Members

I believe all the necks are undrilled and that you wouldn't have a problem there.

It's the bodies that you would have the problem with. However I've never done a build like that so make sure you double check my opinion with someone who knows for sure.

• Members

Thanks. I was just on a warmoth build forum. A guy on their actually used dowels to fill the holes. Then, re-drilled all the holes.

The holes are pre-drilled on the pre-made bodies and necks. At least the pictures all show them drilled. They say that those are the actual parts you will be getting. If I special ordered one, I could get it with out the holes. They have the contoured heel, that seems to get good reviews. Maybe when I actually build my own I can do a heel like that.

• Members

Having a back plate is going to make a more stable joint (and also hide any dowel work) I would suggest if you attempt this to use a back plate and maybe shape the metal plate with a conture to it instead of just the bolts into the body like that. Even if you inlayed the plate so it was flush with the wood you'd still have a more stable joint.The way those bolts go into that neck in the picture shown (countersunk with probably some receiving nuts imbedded in the neck with sleeves) is a lot more complicated than it looks for a home builder to achieve.

• Members

The problem with using dowels is that their grain will run a different direction. They make special wood plugs for that kind of thing, with the grain still running the way it would in the body instead of through it. Its a little bit stronger for redrilling.

I used ferrules on my last build too.

• Members

yes you can, ive converted a few, its easy as long as there are no screw holes drilled. I use an angle grinder that i turned into a 20-grit super sander and a rasp, and make sure you leave about 1/8'' clearance on the neck itself to insure that it seats correctly :

DSC_1110.jpg

Archived