New MacBook Pro doesn't have FW400

Billster

• Members

If you own Atmosphere, Trilogy, and Stylus RMX -- which I do -- then you qualify for the $149 VIP upgrade.

Oh. I love Atmosphere, although I'd really like to move on to new sounds. Also, Atmosphere's always been a little buggy and temperamental for me, crashing if I make too many patch changes and that kind of thing (I run it on a G5). I'm interested in Trilogy and Stylus too, but with my experience with Atmosphere, I decided to wait until they come out with the next generation for intel compatibility.

• Members

I love Atmosphere, although I'd really like to move on to new sounds. Also, Atmosphere's always been a little buggy and temperamental for me, crashing if I make too many patch changes and that kind of thing (I run it on a G5). I'm interested in Trilogy and Stylus too, but with my experience with Atmosphere, I decided to wait until they come out with the next generation for intel compatibility.

Stylus RMX uses a different engine, but you may very well have the same problems with Trilogy.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I did some digging, and it will run on OS X 10.4.9 or higher. Personally, I'm running 10.6 because 10.9 isn't Digidesign approved for Pro Tools 7.1. So I'd have to upgrade to Pro Tools 7.4 and update/upgrade my plug-ins as needed, but I'd only have to update (rather than upgrade) my OS to use Omnisphere.

It should "work" on a G5, but how well remains to be seen. Here's how they put it on their
Website
: "G5 PowerPC compatible - Intel Core2Duo or higher recommended."

Thanks. By the way, any cool new features in 10.6 or do NDA's prevent you from talking about it? ;)

• Members

Hey .....um ...did anyone happen to notice ...

I'm standing here looking at the new design. I like glossy displays so all is fine with me for that. Something slowly dawns on me. I take a look over at the iPhone. Then back at the Mac. Then back to the iPhone. Then back to the Mac. I start touching the Mac screen.

I think I see what's on the way.

Not tomorrow. But I think I get what's going on with this design.

Also, with usb 3.0 already guaranteed on the way with its speed and backward compatibility with existing connections, I also get how/why firewire and even esata are not being picked up on by the various companies as connection points. Might as well tick off all the firewire based folks now, rather than next year when all of this usb 3.0 stuff really starts kicking in.

• Members

Hey .....um ...did anyone happen to notice ...

I'm standing here looking at the new design. I like glossy displays so all is fine with me for that. Something slowly dawns on me. I take a look over at the iPhone. Then back at the Mac. Then back to the iPhone. Then back to the Mac. I start touching the Mac screen.

I think I see what's on the way.

Not tomorrow. But I think I get what's going on with this design.

I thought that about the last round of iMacs. Definitely something I see them pursuing for the consumer marketed stuff. They want the iMac to be the hub of your entertainment and communication systems. Touchscreen will give them a lot of control over user experience.

• Members

So if I upgrade the computer, I have to get a new audio interface? GAAAAHHHH!!!!

Looks like I'll grab a previous generation on closeout.
:idea:

No, no, no. FireWire 800 ports can handle FireWire 400 devices. You just need an inexpensive adapter dongle or cable ($15 at Newegg).

You should not need to change your audio interface.

• Members

Personally, I'm running 10.6 because 10.9 isn't Digidesign approved

I think he means that he's running 10.4.6 instead of 10.4.9.

For those of you who don't follow Macs, the 10.4 line is "Tiger", and that's the OS released two or three years ago.

The newest operating system is 10.5 Leopard, and its latest updated version is 10.5.5.

The new Pro Tools 8 requires 10.5.5.

• Members

No, no, no. FireWire 800 ports can handle FireWire 400 devices. You just need an inexpensive adapter dongle or cable ($15 at Newegg).

You should not need to change your audio interface.

Thanks, but look down the page...my FW800 port has an external drive on it.

Archived