Schecter 3 way switch, surprising upgrade

apg_123

• Members

Ran into some intermittent sound on my 3 year old Schecter Fastback, and I saw some people reporting poor contacting on the bridge position.

So i open it up and find one of the usual open connect tilting shaft designs like so.

I go on eBay and find these sealed box 3 way switches that have "Korea" written on the side, which feel nicer, and so wired it up. What a surprise, I swear the guitar has better overall sound! So worthwhile!

d7d649e1483a1f81aed878be0f0253f1.jpg.e5c02483d9a78960bb89a19881075447.jpg

05ef69abaea22f0e377f4d138ac1e485.thumb.jpg.cdae171afd5680b99d58640641853349.jpg

• Members

Your original reed switch should be good for a lifetime. I'm surprised you had any problems with it.

The ones in the metal box are the ones that typically crap out within a short period of time. I've changed dozens of those switches over the years so you shouldn't see it as a permanent fix.

I have seen some of those short reed switches go bad from the plunger wearing out. The stubbies have short reed contacts which put allot of pressure on the actuator, cause abnormal wear to the point where they don't want to stay engaged. You can typically reform the plate as a fix.

The best solution is to change it with a right angle switchcraft if you have the space for it. The long reeds are the key to having smooth action and reduced wear. Not all cavities fit them however. You can actually use any On/On/On as a 3 way. Some are definitely garbage however as you'll likely find with those cheap metal ones you bought. They rarely last more then a few years before falling apart.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Switchcraft_Right-angle_Toggle_Switch.jpg","data-attachmentid":32296440}[/ATTACH]

Archived