I really dislike cocky/mean guitar players...

geek_usa

• Members

Met a few recently and it's just really no fun to play with them. When they think they are the best thing to grace the face of the planet and make fun of your band's best material and tell you how "uncomplicated you are" makes you want to go smash their guitar and say "oops! what do you reckon you'll do now, mr. dream theatre enthusiast?"

You don't have to be a dick to be good at the guitar.

I'm a very nice person, btw. And I also play guitar. :)

• Members

"Uncomplicated"

Now that is some funny sheet right there!!

Stay far away from the overly cerebral snobs that think music needs to change keys and time signatures every third measure to be interesting. Sounds like you are playing with kids to be honest.

Give me Freddie King, three chords, a groove and some BALLS any day of the week.

• Members

yeah, that's never fun

i've figured out though, that for every jerk who can play pretty good, there's usually a nice guy who can mop the floor with the jerk

the best players i've met, with few exceptions, are always constructive with their criticism...because the best players are still learning too

of the 2 best players i've known personally, one would crack some sarcasm every now and then in jest towards 'pointy guitars', but he was a really cool guy that would be right there to back you up if you slipped...the other guy, i never heard say anything bad about anyone, but nobody was ever left wondering who the best player in the house was once he played, either

edit: and yes, freddie king rules!

• Members

The one thing I learned VERY quickly at GIT was that most monsters, with few exceptions, were very nice, helpful and willing to teach and share.

This was back in 1988 when I was the hotshot in my little group of friends. Going to M.I. for a year truly shattered that image and any ego bull{censored} I may have harbored at that time. It was a truly humbling experience and was probably the most valuable lesson I learned there.

• Members

I think the meanest/cockiest guitar players I've met are the kids who know two or three opening riffs and think they are Steve Vai. I was in a guitar store one day in a back corner gettin' down on a simple boogie pattern testing out a new Fender acoustic and I heard these "goth" boys snickering in the other corner as they played the opening riff to "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica over and over and over. Than they'd listen to me a little more and snicker and play the opening riff again, with this "Help! I have a severe case of constipation" on their faces.

Finally I hung the Fender back up on the wall, walked over to a little combo amp, jacked it up, plugged in an electric, and proceded to take them all to school... playing "Wherever I May Roam" to boot! :evil:

Don't assume b/c someone is interested in playing the "rudimetary stuff" that he/she can't hotdog it if need be.

• Members

i for one am influinced by the complex music of dream theater and most metal bands as i am by curt cobains simple riffs. thats just me though. i like rock music be it heavy metal or hard rock to alt rock. in the 90's when i was listening to shredders i also listened to grunge music. good music is just good music

• Members
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky

The one thing I learned VERY quickly at GIT was that most monsters, with few exceptions, were very nice, helpful and willing to teach and share.

This was back in 1988 when I was the hotshot in my little group of friends. Going to M.I. for a year truly shattered that image and any ego bull{censored} I may have harbored at that time. It was a truly humbling experience and was probably the most valuable lesson I learned there.

There's always somebody willing to practice a couple of hours more a day.

• Members
Originally posted by gsHarmony

I do a lot of orchestral composition, and man are there a bunch of jackasses out there. If you don't write a piece that is polytonal and impossible to analyze harmonically, they will claim that it has been done before or that you are ripping off some other composer whose melody happened to start with the same three notes.

They practically teach you how to be that way if you go to school for composition. If your compositions aren't mathematically interesting and manage to keep the "average listener" interested upon first hearing, you may as well throw 'em into the fire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Nighthawkst3

I wasn't there in your situation but what annoys me is mean and cocky people that snicker at you for playing well known riffs. I hear alot of people noodling and showing off in guitar stores but I am not one to do that because it is just guitar wankery and I am not going to be playing like that on the guitar/amp I am looking at buying.

How do you know that they aren't going to be playing what you call "wankery" on the guitar/amp they are looking at buying when they get it home, and thus that's why they do that when they try it out?

Personally, I like music stores that have seperate rooms that I can go in to try out gear. This allows me to play whatever I want without upsetting this latest generation of kids that only see guitar as a rhythm instrument.

• Members

Cocky guitar players don't bother me in the least. If they've got the chops to backup that attitude then I've no problem at all with it. More power to 'em.

If they're cocky and can't play than they're nothing more than a source of amusement, whether they know it or not.

Having said that, just about all of the REALLY good players I've met are very humble cats. Their attitude is more like they've nothing to prove and their playing will do all the talking they need to say.