Jet City JCA50/100H mods

J.custom

• Members

Any of you guys that own a Jet City 50/100H did any mods to your head? I know the simplest 'mod' would be swapping out the tubes, which I will be doing soon. Running it through the Jet City 4x12 cab. Here are the list of questions of the different mods that I'm curious about:

1)Any preference for a specific power tube beside the 6L6 that doesn't require biasing?

2)Any mods to take away the sizzle in the overdrive channel?

3)For those of you using the Jet City Cab, did you swap out the stock speakers and what did you change them to and why?

4)Any other mods that won't necessarily cost a bomb?(ie. swapping out trannies etc)

Cheers

• Members

I'm going to make the ultimate 100h mod thread (hopefully it will get as popular as my 20h mod thread, 75,713 views and counting) as soon as I have the cash to get a 100.

I have more than a few good ideas to add to that amp but i want to try them out first.

speaking of jca any one seen doug around?

• Members

Cool! Can't wait. Which power tube would you recommend for the 50h aside from the 6L6? I prefer something warmer sounding, the 6L6 can sound rather harsh at times

Couldn't really recommend One from experience but i have heard that kt66 sounds pretty cool and have a good bottom end.

Frpc has kt88 in his. To answer your other questions

2)easiest way to do it is tubes. Play around with the v1 tube. For the lead circuit i like having a sovtek in v1. A jj would also work since it's kind of a dark tube so it balances the amp a bit.

3) I Don't have the stock cabinet but I run my 20h through a green back and a vintage 30 but there are a lot of speaker combos that would be cool.

4) the mod that is easy to do that every one seems to love is the depth mod.

• Members

Yeah I've watched his demos with the KT66, sounds pretty sick. Which other tube would you say the KT66 sounds closest to? Haven't got the opportunity to listen/try an amp with KT66 power tubes.

JJ's huh, alright may try them out. What do you think about tungsols?

• Members

Yeah I've watched his demos with the KT66, sounds pretty sick. Which other tube would you say the KT66 sounds closest to? Haven't got the opportunity to listen/try an amp with KT66 power tubes.

JJ's huh, alright may try them out. What do you think about tungsols?

He did demos with kt88s. I don't know if any one has done kt66's yet. I hear it's like a "bigger" sounding 6l6.

I would change pre-amp tubes and speakers before changing power tubes though.

• Members

I see, interesting. Just wondering, I noticed that when I plugged my time-based effects in the loop, there was a drop in volume. and also when i had one cable going to the return jack of the efx loop (forgot to plug the other cable into send:P), i experienced a similar effect, anyone knows why?

• Members

I have had a few mods done to mine.

First is the Depth mod, basically adds the equivalent of the Resonance knob on a 5150 in that it controls the amount of low

end in the power section. The extra knob is right next to the Presence knob.

Second I have a mid sweep that replaced the fixed slope resistor with a fixed/variable resistor combo that allows me to sweep the frequency that the mids are centered at up or down. I can go from lower mid heavy recto tones to upper mid heavy Marshall tones and all points in between. The extra knob is right below the Mid knob.

Third, I had the fixed cathode resistors for the 2nd and 3rd lead gain stages replaced with fixed/variable resistor combos that allow me to control how hard each of those gain stages is pushed. This allows me some control over how much gain and compression is present in the lead channel. The two extra knobs are on the back of the amp.

• Members

Thanks! I don't think I would dare to mod it on my own, so I'll probably send it to my tech.

Yeah. i had the depth mod, fx loop mod done then undone and DC heaters done and new power tubes installed and biased for less than $100. These are not expensive to mods.

• Members

I found this out by pure accident, I plugged a cable into the 'return' part of the efx loop but not the 'send' and it caused a volume drop. Can I use this as a way of attenuating the amp? Will there be any damage? I know it'll definitely work the power tubes even more

• Members

I'm going to make the ultimate 100h mod thread (hopefully it will get as popular as my 20h mod thread, 75,713 views and counting) as soon as I have the cash to get a 100.

Do itttt. I want to mod my 100HDM but I have no idea what to do. I can use a soldering iron but I need directions. Or if they're worth it I'd find a tech, seems like most mods are quite cheap.

• Members

What kind of mods do you guys want to see?

The first thing that came to mind for me is adding another eq in there. That way when you can change up the tone when you go from your normal channel to your od channel.

that would be nice.

If I'd change anything, I might try to make it less smooth, more bite. But I also like this amp for what it is, it's different in its own right, and probably wouldn't change it.

Mine has depth mod, FWIW. Haven't played around with tubes yet, haven't had the funds to do so.

• Members

What kind of mods do you guys want to see?

The first thing that came to mind for me is adding another eq in there. That way when you can change up the tone when you go from your normal channel to your od channel.

The shared EQ didn't bother me...

I'd like something which can get more of the modern (Diezel, ENGL) grind on the OD channel.

Is there a way to add a second preamp/master to the clean channel? (or even just a footswitchable crunch ala 6505+) The clean channel does clean AND crunch so well it's a shame to only use it for one or the other. Then with a modern OD channel that would be a KILLER (pseudo) 3 channel.

I had a 50H for awhile...but I sold it because it didn't have enough bass on the gain side. I'm considering a HDM...which should help with that.

Archived