pods and tonelabs are condoms; they get the job done, but without the feel

bluesway

• Members

i just got rid of my last "go-direct, acheive any sound, mimic any cab" piece of junk box the other day. it was a POD Live. i also had a tonelab (vox) with the tube built in. that sucked, too. i'm convinced that these things can't do what they're supposed to do. they're so weak that i felt like my tone on a few studio recordings i had to do was paper thin.

i don't know....does anyone who's really into tone like these things, or is it just settling?

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

i just got rid of my last "go-direct, acheive any sound, mimic any cab" piece of junk box the other day. it was a POD Live. i also had a tonelab (vox) with the tube built in. that sucked, too. i'm convinced that these things can't do what they're supposed to do. they're so weak that i felt like my tone on a few studio recordings i had to do was paper thin.

i don't know....does anyone who's really into tone like these things, or is it just settling?

Sigh, what ever happened to the good trolls??? These new guys really suck. Cheers Lucius

• Members

Bluesway, It depends on your application. I don't use my Pod Pro Xt or Xt Live for recording, I use it for live situations and it excels for that.

I'm not talking direct into the PA either I'm talking, guitar into Pod pro xt, into two QSC poweramps and then into 4 2X12 Mesa Recto cabs...

With this application I can achieve huge, thick, percussive Black metal, speed metal, death metal and just about everything under the sun. Basically, I use the Xt Live or Pod XT pro as a preamp into a poweramp/s... :cool:

Sorry you're not diggin yours for recording:(

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

I did a little demo with a Line6 Guitarport on one side and a Behringer V-Amp Pro on the other. These are just straight from the units to the soundcard with no FX or other processing. Does it sound paper thin?

the clip is "Line6 + Behringer Rhythm Only"

great sounding clips ocnor! very pro sounding to my ears!

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

Its ok...you just dont know how to tweak the POD for great tone.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

Its ok...you just dont know how to tweak the POD for great tone.

it's been tweaked by some serious soundguys who contract a lot of records in the studio i work at: no matter what they do, though, we continually hear it to be a pod, though. i don't know if you intended to, but don't be condescending.

and for the live app: i bought it for a live app. the company i played for needed like seven different tones in a set, so i absolutely needed it, but i could never get just nice, overdriven ringing tone. it got screaming metal tones quite well, but others just sucked, man. that's it.

this is with career soundmen, man. if it's me, that's one thing, but with these guys who are full-time engineers and mixers, it's another

these computer chip tone machines don't do it, man. (lol. "tweaked" or not)

Archived