Power Amp Advice

Si.

• Members

HI all,

I recently got myself a cheap JMP-1 and Im putting together my first rack with it and a G-Major. I'm looking for a power amp and have 4 different ones I'm looking at and was curious of opinions of them.

Marshall EL84 100/100

- dearest option, but 100w is too much power at the moment for what I need.

MArshall 9005

- Next Cheapest a bit old and 50w, can't find much info about them

Marshall Valvetronix

- Cheapest of them all Something about these puts me off.. mose vavletronix style stuff I've used hasn't been great

Rocktron Velocity 100

- Solid state and I know very little about them but I have seen them used here and a few other forums.

Any advice on the above appreciated.. Thanks.

• Members

If by Valvetronix you mean the Marshall Valvestate 8008, that's a great amp, decent sounding and really reliable. A lot of pros use them, including the tone guru himself, Michael Landau. I did manage to blow one up through user error, but the one I have now has been spot on. Apparently the gold-faced ones are better because they have better voltage regulation in them, but both of mine have been the old black ones and I've had no problems.

The 9005 is huge (4U) and weighs a ton. I've heard about them having reliability problems too. I remember when I first started playing and they were the cool amp to have at the time, but I'm glad I never went for one.

I've never heard anything good about the Rocktron Velocity amps other than that they're light weight. Very sterile and drab sounding from what I've heard.

Any particular reason you're only looking at the EL34 100/100 and not the 50/50? It's nearly

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Spacehog is right about the rocktron velocity 100s. They suck but if I were you I would look for a rocktron velocity 250 or 300. They sound amazing, are solid state, loud as all hell. I have a 250 that use to power my Rocktron Chameleon and my Digitech 2112 (which is tube). It makes the digitech sound amazing. I run it into 2 marshall 4X12s both with 3 30's and an Eminence 12" 100 watt bass speaker.

The rocktron is crushing. I bought mine off of ebay for $250. It was in great shape, i mean it had the usual rack wear and tear since it's like a ten year old power amp. But I swear by it, it's a heavy ass thing to. It has some control on there that is like a tube emulation thing and it makes it sound just like a real tube power amp, of course when you start getting into the upper levels (200-250watts) of volume that fades out, but if you keep it like a normal tube amp at like 100 watts it sounds great. Has that natural compression and break up sound.

I used to have a mesa boogie 2-90-2 and sold it after I bought the velocity. So to tell you that much.

I hope this helps you out. How is the JMP-1 I was thinking of getting one. Anybody here have any experience with DGC ground control mixer thing?

• Members

I repeat: I am very interested in what a marshall 8008 sounds like..Im dragging around alot of heavy gear and would like to use a good,toneful 1 rack spaced power amp.

Any discussion of OTHER very heavy power amps isnt very helpful to me, because im looking to lose some of the crazy weight in my rack.

Help!

Would a Marshall 8008 do it? Would it sound like ass? Reasonable tube sound? Or anemic?

• Members

You get what you pay for but I never heard of a marshall Marshall EL84 100/100?!?! You mean an EL34? Peavey made a 50/50 that was el84 which could be bridged mono at 100 watts. I have found solid state power amps and cheap tube power amps compleatly suck real bad. The only power amps that sound decent are the very top of the line like the marshall EL34 100/100. That is a lot of power. get a VHT power amp the 2 50 2.

• Members

i used to own the 9005 and the 8008 and i was using a JMP-1 at the time

i had the 9005 first and loved it - yes, it was big and heavy, but it never broke down on me and sounded fantastic. then the 8008 came out and i thought "hmm...1u...light...portable...gotta get one!". and in comparison to the 9005 it sounded like complete ass. fortunately i hadn't sold the 9005 and i went straight back to using it. i also tried the gold-fronted 9500 with 6L6's and wasn't too keen. i reckon EL34's are the way to go if you can bear to lug it around. (marshall also made a version of the 9500 with EL34's.)

avoid the 8008 at all costs - i know it seems tempting, but from my experience (and hearing a few other people using it) it just doesn't do the job. you're effectively removing 1/3 of the gear needed to produce a great guitar sound imo (good valve preamp + good valve poweramp + good cabs)

i currently use a mesa 20/20. if you're looking for a lighter 1u poweramp, then definitely give this one a go (marshall make a 20/20 too, but i've not heard great things about it). don't be fooled by the power rating, it's plenty loud enough for rock gigs and still has good headroom. (keep the presence controls at about 11o/c or it sounds brittle). great for home practice too, as it still sounds good at bedroom levels

just my 2c

sim

• Members

The MosValve ones with MosFets? they sound decent but the FETS blow and make a nasty mess inside (don't ask how I know)

I just fixed a Peavey classic 50/50 which sounded pretty good, but the Marshall and Mesa are very nice.

• Members

The MosValve ones with MosFets? they sound decent but the FETS blow and make a nasty mess inside (don't ask how I know)

I just fixed a Peavey classic 50/50 which sounded pretty good
, but the Marshall and Mesa are very nice.

I'll vouch for these, they can be had for cheap if they turn upyou can find one and I like 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

..listen to your audio clips at your websites and see if we are coming from the same place...a place where the Marshall 8008 is a steaming TURD.

-GtrGeorge

If,however, we are doing utterly different sytles..maybe the 8008 could work for me..I am so tired of the weight of my Randall Rt2/50 and my speaker cabinets, and my tube preamp...and my G major fx unit...

it takes 7 trips to get into a room, and 7 to get out. It takes 20 minutes to be ready to play!!! Thast VERY pricely real estate where I come from (NY area).

GtrGeorge

• Members

i don't think the clips on my site will give you much clue (they were all recorded direct, anyway)...you might be better off looking at this vid -

i do have some vids with me playing in a more rocky context as well, but they're on facebook and pretty {censored}. i can point you there if you're desperate!

ultimately, the choice is up to you of course, and the 8008 isn't a particularly expensive bit of kit. i'd be interested to hear your opinion of it if you do get one...! i can only express my opinion based on my experience of comparing the sound directly with the valve poweramps i've tried. i didn't like it, but you may do.

if you really want to scale down, why not use a laptop and Guitar Rig and plug directly into the PA? (i'm only half serious)

sim

• Members

I have thought about that...

but speaking from experience...technology is NEVER as mature as it seems. You and I are similar in that we both are very quality audio people..you know good sound..and so do I..hence your recorded material sounds great..very hi fi..I like it. VERY well done. If I was into Loop/ambient..id buy it in a second.

Back on Topic: ..I am similar..I have been playing stereo out live since 1984 (!!!). I have pushed the limits of the midi spec and continue to be a pain in the arse for many product representatives because of products that connot do what they are advertized to do (like seemless program changes...etc etc)

So the idea of a Laptop is a fine IDEA, but latency is a problem, and frankly the sounds are still immature. I have heard a number of programs, and while its great for a Techno genre (where mashed guitar sounds are usefull) if you are playing in an AC/DC tribute band..i think it would be tough to compete on a stage where the other guy has a REAL Marshall stack.

Oh, and just wait till the fuse blows mid-song (cause the ice machine began making ice). So for now, I'm waiting on that idea to mature..I WILL keep tabs on it.

Frankly,And I am still wading thru the debris of the 1990s for the gear that works AND can be purchased on my meager income. The sad fact is: despite computer technology increasing about 100 fold..not much much of that (none?) translated to guitar multiFx units, and guitars.

So much for the Golden future...without money..there is no propulsion to move things forward. That's a fact I wish more guitarists understood..it's fine to complain things aren't engineered completely...but its good to know WHY the new version isn't coming anytime soon.

therefore, we have these forums where WE take back the narrative, we assume support of a product and develop it further, and I am actually happy about that.

Back on topic: I will check your more APPLICABLE audio clips of the 8008.

Thanks for the dialogue..I sincerly appreciatte it..and I gotta get to Wales someday..I kinda have a calling to do it.

George

• Members

Hey Simeon,

I listend to MonckJack (great name..Jack Bruce reference?)..and the guitar sound was excellent. And was that the 8008? If so, I am very impressed. Granted the whole solo seemed to have a filter on it (G major filter?..or a wah?..it sounded like it was going thru an inductor coil..for that cool sound..) anyway..perfectly usable,imho, for a rehearsal..or a backup amp....the 8008,imho.

It might lack some balls versus my tube amp..but I can cope with loss of SOME balls..to get a portable "ready in 5 minutes" set-up. And a setup that is fairly true (about 70percent) of what my tube amp would do.

people now roll their eyes when I show up at a gig. NY is very impatient.

It helps to understand that sometimes I have to load my gear into my cars trunk at 5am..so that I can go to work, then from there go directly to rehearsal. A smaller piece of gear makes it possible to hide the gear in the trunk versus having it VISIBLE in my back seat, along wth a guitar etc etc.

I dont want to bait for thieves...and the 8008 might make it possible to keep everything hidden.

• Members

no no...what you were hearing was the mesa 20/20...not the 8008!

the 8008 doesn't sound anything like that - it's hard, thin, lacks dynamics and harmonic complexity...nothing like the 20/20!

i used the 8008 for one rehearsal and got rid of it immediately and went back to using my marshall 9005, which i had at the time

btw - i was using an EH nano small stone on that funk solo...

sim

• Members

Simeon,

um.. well.... THANKS for telling me NOW about those clips using a mesa power amp. The way you introduced them to me, I thought they must have the 8008 because you would prefer I hear those to get an idea.

Well I have an 8008 on the way.

I hope it works out.

Geez....

Archived