Subwoofer question????

• Members

Is it worth it to put together your own subwoofers? By that I mean, I know there are places that sell empty sub boxes, and I was wondering if it was cheaper to put your own components in them and finish them yourself. I was toying around with the idea of using the pre fabricated EV MT4 sub boxes and putting in different drivers. I remember a while back stumbling across a website that sold all kinds of boxes and one of them was a MT4 replica. Does anyone know where I can find a website like this? If I did do it, what kind of speakers would you reccomend? A lot of folks on here talk about Audiopile, and it looks like they sell a very affordable 18" speaker. Eminence makes some affordable speakers as well. Give me some advice. I have never attempted to put together my own speakers before, but I think it could be fun and save me a lot of money.

• Members

It's never cheaper if you do it the right way :thu:

If you do it the wrong way, it will be cheaper. I fall under the catergory of building it the right way (To the best of my knowledge) so, I was broke when I made my first set of subs. :D

Umm...

Building the MT4 will weigh in at around 400 pounds a cab. You'll definitely want one of these around.....

Forklift.gif

Do you even know how (The knowledge) to build a box to achieve the results you're aiming for. :confused:

• Members

I you want a MTL4 your only options are to build, buy a copy, or find some used. There are many places on the net that sell copies of out of production speaker boxes. Make sure your drivers match the boxes.

A simple front loaded 13 cubic ft. box will work very well with two Eminence Kappalite 3015LFs if vented properly.

If resale value or rider acceptability are concerns of yours, don't go this route.

Les

• CMS Author

Subs usually suck for resale value, since they're not easy to ship. So the local market dictates. Of course, since this means you can't get a good deal shipped to you from far away, your local choices are always limited. As Andy wrote, be suspicious of the drivers in any sub. Personally I'd pay whatever the empty cab is worth, plus maybe a little more if the things actually work, and plan to replace them sooner or later. In fact just get a replacement driver or two if they're 2x cabs, and be prepared.

• Members

Subs usually suck for resale value, since they're not easy to ship. So the local market dictates. Of course, since this means you can't get a good deal shipped to you from far away, your local choices are always limited. As Andy wrote, be suspicious of the drivers in any sub. Personally I'd pay whatever the empty cab is worth, plus maybe a little more if the things actually work, and plan to replace them sooner or later. In fact just get a replacement driver or two if they're 2x cabs, and be prepared.

I could not have said that any better!:thu:

Pay only what you think the box is worth with baskets, not as loaded with speakers. Reconed and refurbished is like starting from scratch.

I prefer to buy them empty. Just consult someone regarding the replacements who knows what is required.......throught experience and not supposition.

The last two cabs I bought were Cerwin Vega B-36 JR. Eathquakes at $99.00 US each. Refurbished with new higher capacity woofers for another $175 per cabinet makes for a very nice, (not State of the Art....but nice), portable Minivan Friendly Sub rated an honest 400/800/1600 watts as opposed to the original 250/500/1000 watts.

or.....buy a set of LS808's.

Archived