Do I need a PA head or will a mixer work?

• Members

I'm going to start doing A LOT of acoustic gigs very soon (hopefully) and I won't be able to use my dad's pa head anymore because he needs it for his band.

I was wondering, would i get the same results from hooking up a mixer and then using speaker outs? Or is a PA head pretty much what I need?

I only need 2 inputs...just vocals and guitar.

thanks!

~Jared

• Members

A basic unpowered mixer doesn't have speaker outs, obviously. You need power somewhere to power the speakers. A mixer and a modest power amp will work fine, or a powered mixer.

OR a powered speaker.

The Powered speakers that i have are yorkville NX 550 P which is the olod version of what is now the NX 55 P, and these actaully have a little mixer right on them, that permits mixing a vocal mic and a line input such as an acoustic guitar. There is no onboard reverb unit though which would be nice.

Someone recently suggested the Genz Benz Shanandoah Pro Acoustic amp to me which it looked awesome for this application... it has a mic input and a guitar input, with a nice little alesis reverb unit onboard into a 2-12" cabinet I think. I bet it sounds great.

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&m...sid=420&cid=94

Archived