Live sound school?

• Members

Does anyone here know of a good program that focuses on live sound?

It seems like most audio engineering schools are more studio-oriented (though I would like to build my recording skills as well). Anything with some kind of internship or apprenticeship would be ideal.

• Members

The local pro sound provider where I live will hire inexperienced folks at low pay and is happy to have them hang around a learn when they aren't working. If I had to start over again and was committed to a career in audio production, that;s where I'd start.

And to second what has already been said: the technology is the fun and easy part, so paying to learn it never made much sense to me.

• Members

The best school is the real world. You'll learn so much more on your first day on the job than you would in all your time at school... but that's IME.

If you want to learn the business and the craft, get a job wrapping cables or moving cases at your local sound co and be persistent! everyone's gotta start somewhere.

As said, probably the best background you can have is EE. To understand the ins and outs of electrical systems is the very root of life sound. That'll put you beyond a lot of people in the field. Nothing talks like experience though.

All that said, I know a few guys who've graduated from full sail or similar "audio schools" and gotten work. You might just get lucky. If anything, going to those schools will make you a lot of contacts, and contacts are very important in this business... like any other business.

• Members

It's funny that this came up. I was a full time roadie/gopher back in the 70's. I learned so much then. But no one ever let me mic the amps until last week. I learned so much more invaluable stuff in one day week, then I did in 4 years back then. Never miced a Leslie. Mic placement. That's where the schooling would come in. Any other thing a high school kid can learn. No offense to anyone here but I was in high school when I started on that trek. Humping, coiling and feeding. No micing. Aaahhh...those were the days.

Archived