Hum in Monitor?

• Members

Everything was running good for months all of sudden im getting hum in one of my monitors. I'm using 4 separate mixes with 2 peavey dual 15 GEQ. my problem is when I run the xlr to the pw. amp from the GEQ I get a hum, I've tried different cables all the way back from the board and I still have the problem, it only happens on one side of this one power amp ,I'm getting sound but with a hum I even tried bypassing the return on the snake so it seems it's something between the one side of the GEQ and power amp. the only thing I haven't tried is clipping pin 1 of one end of short xlr that feeds the GEQ to the input of

the power amp. What really confuses me is why one side of the power amp does this and the other side doesn't? PS I brought the GEQ home last night hooked it up to a couple powered speakers and all is well. My Brain is smoked!!!

• Members

I'd venture to guess that something in the power amps input side balancing circuit has gone south (I think it's called a differential amp). To rule out the EQ, have you tried driving the amp with another channel of EQ or even going straight from the mixer into that power amp channel? BTW clipping pin 1 might work but it would only be a quick fix that might come back to bite you later.

The problem could also be a combination of a failing piece of gear and the environment (different power and/or more induced noise can make a marginal component seem intermittent).

• Members

Thanks Guy's I tried taking the input straight from the board same thing hum I also switched another aux out into that side of the EQ and same thing I think it is the power amp I hope not I guess I'll try the pin lift for right now Does it make any difference which end, the one into the power amp or the end that that's in the output of the eq? THANKS

• Members

I run 2 monitors last night with a different PW amp and a different eq worked great! I brought the EQ and power amp that was suspect and ran here at home and worked just like it's supposed to. What is different, at the club I used the Aux's that I was having problems with by bypassing the snake returns completely, I hope this is the problem! I'll find out tomorrow night

Archived