Kinda OT, Do you know any other key players ?

augerinn

• Members

I mean, besides here on the forums.

It dawned on me yesterday, that there just aren't very many people in the world (the real world, out there) that one can sit and talk synths to.

I don't personally know another keyboard player in my immediate vicinity. (20 miles or less)

• Members

They are a relatively rare breed of musician, made rarer (in a sense) by the fact that some keyboardists are studio only.

I know that I've met a few keyboardists around the area, but I don't know many of them that well. I've definitely met *way* more guitarists. :) I'd probably meet more if I made an effort to go to more shows with key players (the very few bands that have them), but my time is limited.

• Members

i don't know many people who play the keys anymore. most of the people that i did know never really made it beyond the local bar scene. everyone grew older and their priorities in life changed due to careers and raising families.

I used to know and work with many back in the day- but these days the only ones I still talk to are Cevin Key/ Tom Ellard and Adi Newton- but only via email/facebook- haven't jammed in ages

impressive

• Members

Being in the Christian music world, yeah I know a few. They're usually pianists though. I'm the only synthesist I know in real life, other than the two guys I met the day I bought my Fusion from this one dude who had all these awesome vintage synths - Jupiter 8, MemoryMoog, 2 Prophet 5, OB-8, etc etc etc :eek: I just met those guys once though...

• Members

They are a relatively rare breed of musician, made rarer (in a sense) by the fact that some keyboardists are studio only.

I know that I've met a few keyboardists around the area, but I don't know many of them that well. I've definitely met *way* more guitarists.
:)
I'd probably meet more if I made an effort to go to more shows with key players (the very few bands that have them), but my time is limited.

they dont do shows around here like they used to. I keep saying i want to get back into it, but maybe it's a good thing they don't because i quit back then for a reason. i wouldnt mind doing a techno festival, but there's a serious lack of serious people around here.. NW looks like where it's at.

me and sound wave live 20 miles apart and i've only met him once in five years :idk:

• Members

I live a town over from Tommy Zvoncheck, who plays with Blue Oyster Cult, played with Aldo Nova, and some other acts. Collaborated with Jon Anderson of Yes on a tune on his solo album re-release.

Cool guy, great player. Knows a lot of classic proggers and rockers and keeps me updated on who's playing with who, etc.

Took an organ lesson from him a few weeks ago (since I'm not really an organist), and will probably go back soon.

I know and have met lots of other local keysmen, but being in the keyboard biz, it would be strange if I didn't. :freak:

• Members

What sux, is I can't share my enthusiasm with anyone. I mean, I brought my Kurz home, and really wanted to show someone who would understand and appreciate it's keybed feel, sounds, and abilities to split and layer.

I showed my 17 year old daughter how cool it was to control the 6 synths in my rack by switching patches etc. She just gave me the ol' blank eyed stare. "Ummm....cool dad.....so, can I go now ?"

:facepalm:

• Members

then you are trully not one of us.. for we are a strange breed that labors away in the quiet dark and tomb like recesses of our abodes, licking sustenance off of the various molds and lichens in here..

begone nose breather!

nah, but that's why we all hang out here i guess :lol:

• Members

I know a few, but I don't see them too often. I have two amazing keyboard playing friends who both go to music school and play around the country. They always tell me that they're afraid of my shred-skills :D. Anyway, I'd like to know a few more, with whom I could talk synths on a regular basis, but there are just too few of us (that's kind of what makes us... well us u_u)

• Members

I know quite a few in my area. The most famous one I know is Pete Sears who played with Jefferson Starship, Rod Stewart, and others, and came to my studio a few months ago to lay down keyboard tracks on my Korg Karma for my latest CD (the one in my avatar).

• Members

Many of my friends play keys. One of them builds sythesizer modules and hangs out here sometimes. As a Hammond player, many of the people I have played with have turned into Hammond enthusiasts, a large percentage of the people I regularly associate with own one or more Hammonds these days.

• Members

There are only a couple I know on the circuit. . . one fronts the band I play in. It's pretty cool because we're both sufficiently egoless that we can learn from each other and it really benefits the band when we put our heads together on arragements. We used to do a doubleteam on some songs, and we're seriously considering bringing it back for venues where there's sufficient room.

Another plays in a band with which we have a sort of friendly rivalry, and some of our members have actually filled in with them on occasion and vice versa. He's a Hammond guy, I'm a piano man. So we've wound up being presidents of each other's fan clubs because each of us admires the other's style.

That said, there don't seem to be too many plying their trade in this area.

Or maybe I just don't get out much ...:idk:

• Members

I know a bunch of gigging keyboard players. Most would be considered "keyboard players" as opposed to "synth people". No disrespect meant - but in my circles, there's not much of a market for "synth" players (unless they're solid "keyboard players" to start with). There are 2 or 3 that I'm in regular contact with - each of us has a slightly different focus (in terms of musical genre, style of playing and performing vs. recording). We met through music - and have developed a friendly professional relationship between ourselves. We're at the point that we regulary refer work to each other if one of the other guys is a better "fit" for the task at hand.

• Members

I actually know a scary amount of people who are into synthesis or are really good players...I met most of them through work and gigging scene and there are a few I met online but it turned into real life friendship/regular contact ( Evildragon comes to mind as the best example :D ).

• Members

Met a guy in a local music store, he was demo-ing the various korgs/moogs etc. We got talking turns out he is a huge vintage buff, we swapped email addresses and it turns out he lives in the town just up the road...sent me a couple of invites to see his studio, I never went, virtual world is easier to deal with

Sorry Dave :wave:

Archived