Wish List...The unofficial GAS thread.

• Members
Gear Acquisition Syndrome

I know I'm not alone in my perpetual quest to acquire certain pieces of gear.
Often this list changes...I find something new I didn't know existed, I try something out that disappoints...Life happens.

It would be interesting to see what everyone's currently GASsing over, see what interests we share, hopefully be introduced to new gear I was unaware of.

I'll start off...My current list revolves around my current need to streamline my studio and to help my process flow more easily when inspiration strikes.
I'm really looking to re-invent "The Blue Room" at this point. That, and, I've found some new stuff I want and could use some new sounds to inspire me.

Titles are clickable links

* Desk

BES-64810_zom.jpg

I've always struggled in this area, and I love the Quik-Lok Z600, but it's like $600 and I'm not convinced it offers enough utility.
So I checked out the Studio RTA Producer's Station, and it fits the bill, but the reviews are mixed 50/50 and it's still $500.
So I'm looking at this $200 "shell" that I'm likely going to pick up and modify to my tastes.

* MOTU MicroLite (MIDI/USB interface)

286753.jpg

I need to be able to interface and patch alll my MIDI gear at once, and 2 of these will give me 10x10 in a 1u space.

* PreSonus FireStudio Tube

presonus-firestudiotube1-460-80.jpg

For the last 2 years I've been trying to sort out a 16-channel audio interface with no luck.
Since discovering PreSonus I've become a huge fan of their hardware and software products and hopefully this will fit the bill.
On-face control of all 16 channels and a few more aux options would be nice, but it doesn't seem to be out there.

* MOTU Ethno 2

ethnonew.jpg

I'm currently gearing up for a paid 3rd-party project that will involve a LOT of ethnic instrumentation and rhythms.
This product looks like it offers a huge variety of instruments and loops, vocal patches, alternate tunings and even some relevant soundscape loops, all arranged by geographic location.

* E-MU XBoard 49

emu_xboard49.jpg

I know these aren't available anymore, but I need a small, lightweight MIDI controller with knobs and aftertouch.
If anyone's got a good one sitting around, please PM me, I have cash in hand.

* Native Instruments Maschine

ni_maschine.jpg

If you aren't familiar with this, check out all the samples and demos on NI's site. A full-on hardware/software hybrid workstation that (imho) completely blows the MPCs out of the water.

* Native Instruments Evolve Mutations Bundle and Paranormal Spectrums

newsni.gif

These are some affordable sounds, sound effects, soundscapes, etc for scoring film. Demos on NI's site are amazing.

* Native Instruments Kore 2 / Komplete 6 Bundle

id_7082xx_600x250.jpg

Absolutely massive library of sounds and effects with a nice, compact hardware controller.
This is another package you have to see to believe.

* Native Instruments Kontrol (for GuitarRig 4)

32886417-2-440-OVR-1.gif

The above bundle includes GuitarRig 4 software, this is just the hardware controller for it.
Pretty cool hardware/software hybrid for adding amps and effects to live guitar.

Continued...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Continuation...

These last 2 are simple controllers, but I think they'll add a nice touch to the studio...

* Kensington SlimBlade trackball

Kensington-SlimBlade-Trackball_1.jpg

Trackballs are supposed to be easier to use (and easier on the wrists) than a mouse, particularly for audio/visual editing, etc.
Now that Kensington has software to custom-program the 4 buttons on this, I can't think of a better entry into the segment.

* Griffin PowerMate (USB controller)

powermate-alt1.jpg

Scroll, click, long-click and click-scroll functions are all completely programmable within ANY program that accepts key commands.
A lot more than a very pretty volume knob, this.

Thanks guys! Let's see what you're lusting over!

~M

• Members

That trackball looks slick. I'll probably need a replacement for my Microsoft Trackball Explorer someday, thanks for the suggestion.

Meanwhile, I'd settle for:

a new computer (come onnnn new mac pros)
a new desk (ikea needs to get smart and make new jerkers)
a v-synth gt
apogee symphony
new usb midi interface
a modular synth
a fender vintage jaguar
an american deluxe p-bass
more effect pedals
more records
a room to put all of this stuff in
time to make loud noises other people dislike
talent

• Members

i'd give gillian anderson up there an authentic poltergeist table rap i tell you what

the only thing i desire these days very much is a simple analog polysynth to call my own. i can pretty much use most any keyboard to make the noises i make, but somehow i've made my best tracks with borrowed junos - maybe that's what i need, or something similar.

still looking, still testing stuff out.

• Members

Strangely enough there's 3 mono's i GAS for, Oscar, SH5 and Voyager, i think because they all have very characteristic sounds that are difficult to emulate.

Can't really think of any poly's i GAS for that bad, tbh most of the old stuff that i love has either gone way past my budget, tends to have hideous service issues or both.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
Blofeld, Radias and Tetr4 at the moment.
Looked at the Blo a long time, have always wanted a Radias, but I'd not heard of the Tetr4 yet.
Just watched Dogboy's 4 video demos on YouTube, pretty cool!

Some tabletop analog like that will eventually make its way into my rig.

• Members

Room treatment. A Nord Lead 2(x) or Modular - or both. V-Synth. Better mixer and audio interface. A good software reverb or two, looking at Redline Reverb and Aether ATM, they're the first decent software reverbs I've come across. Nebula 3. Zebra, Ace and Alchemy softies. EWQL Silk. Some Tonehammer stuff. A new drum machine like the SR-18 or XR 20. An extra set of monitors. A good EQ plug in (I might get a UAD card for that and some other stuff). Longer term (within the next year) I want a new MPC and probably an Andromeda A6, a set of congas and a new guitar (just bought my first one, having TONS of fun with it right now even though my fingers are hurting).

And mayyyyybe a Blokey, even though it's not super crucial to any of my music. Or an Ion, which would be more useful to SOME of my music, but not as exciting as it's more of a full on analog emulator.

• Members

LOL, a purple-wigged chick from UFO (that photo doesn't show off her mini skirt). I thought that show was pretty cool and ahead of its time. These days the shows are all about trying to uncover conspiracies and not cover things up.

• Members

the new 5U X-Module system by Macbeth. im not GASing for anything outright impossible like a Ferrari, but getting a small 5 module setup. it sounds outrageously good. i hope ill have money for this in times to come. here is a pic of the VCO:

MK1+Oscillator.jpg

also im GASing for a new I7 DAW with crapload of RAM. this will probably happen in early fall this yr. loooong overdue.

and would love to get these thingies as well:

oberheim_sem_module.jpg

akai-mpk61-keyboard-midi-controller.jpg

bluestripe.jpg

it's a kit from hairball audio. 1176 urei clone.

CM7-GTfrontsm.jpg

Wunder CM7-GT. a Neumann U47 clone.

EDIT: auuuh i forgot this one. i GOTTA have that.. 5 independent midi uts, and two cv/gate outs.. drooooool

cirklon-ui-sml.jpg

• Members

photo-757939.jpg

I kick myself for not jumping on the pre-order a LONG time ago. Now I'm waiting to see if the price drops when it hits stores. $4000 is a lot of cash. But I want it really really bad.

Screw analog.

• Members

More rack versions of synths. Tabletops should have rack kits. I use racks to stay organized and mobile.

Roland Gaia Rack: Still want something with the "Roland sound" but don't want another keyboard.

Blofeld Rack Kit

Purchased a 10 RU slant rack and wheels attachment from Road Ready and I'm loving the convenience and ruggedness of the thing. Perfect for my studio or live, Djing or with a band. :)

Archived