Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been monitoring the availability and price for the XW-P1 in Australia, and it seems not to be hardly available, and the only one I found on the web quoted a price of $768.

No point in getting one shipped over from the US as the postage is over $200, no warranty, and an AC adaptor problems.

Anyone know why the price tag is so expensive here, perhaps import duties (can't seem to find a price on that one), or maybe Australia hosts too many rip off business peoples.

I can be sure to say that Casio will not sell many units here until the price drops to $500, this will happen, but probably not for a year or more, then I will get mine.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
      View Post

Hi Mike,

Has anyone been working on the Cakewalk INS file lately? Any chance we'll see one soon or not?

Anyone else out there created one yet? Since I don't like to do live bank and program changes on the fly in my sequences since they are a pain in the ass to edit out or change during revisions, I am DESPERATE to find this file soon.

I mean the Vangelis and Keith Emerson sounds are cool and all that but unless I can program them into the sequencer software I'm using with a full range of recognized controllers and banks and patches they're totally useless to me as nothing more than noise experiments.

Is there an INS file on its way or not? Or should I just stop asking about it and spend a month or two writing my own INS file?

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

I have been waiting on an "unprotected" version of the PDF that has the patch names so I wouldn't have to type out the names of all 600 presets manually. I just received this so I hope to get this done for you in the next day or two.
      -Mike Martin
      Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
        View Post

Gary,

I have been waiting on an "unprotected" version of the PDF that has the patch names so I wouldn't have to type out the names of all 600 presets manually. I just received this so I hope to get this done for you in the next day or two.

That's terrific news Mike! I eagerly await your progeny with bated breath

Incidentally, I noticed when I first received my XW-P1 there was no sign of a serial number on it. Not even a sticker. Considering even a $50 DVD player usually has at least a serial number sticker on it I'm somewhat surprised that Casio sold a $500 piece of hardware with no serial number to track in case of theft? Or am I missing a serial sticker squirrelled away somewhere in the chassis? I admit I never opened the battery compartment so I guess it could be squirrelled away inside there.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
          View Post

I admit I never opened the battery compartment so I guess it could be squirrelled away inside there.

That is where you will find it.
          -Mike Martin
          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• I'm backtracking a bit because Craig has already covered the Pattern Sequencer, but here is a video I just finished on this feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvQ-AI2kk7A
            -Mike Martin
            Casio America, Inc.

Comment

View Post

Gary,

Gary,

I may not be done this week. I'm at Sweetwater's Gearfest today and tomorrow and leave for Japan for a week on Monday. While I should be able to knock it out on my 15 flight, I may not have access to a XW-P1 to test to see that the file works so I'm going to have to ask for a bit more patience from you.

Take care,
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

View Post

Gary,

I may not be done this week. I'm at Sweetwater's Gearfest today and tomorrow and leave for Japan for a week on Monday. While I should be able to knock it out on my 15 flight, I may not have access to a XW-P1 to test to see that the file works so I'm going to have to ask for a bit more patience from you.

Take care,

It's understandable Mike. No point in releasing the file if you can't debug it. Just keep us posted and we'll wait patiently til it gets done.

Have a safe flight!

Regards,

Gary

Comment

• If it's fair to compare the XWP1 to the Peavey DPM3, then I suppose it's also fair to compare it to the Yamaha EX5.

It had generous polyphony for the AWM2 samples.

It offered two (rather than one, like the XW) notes of polyphony for the AN analog modeling synth engine, so you could have a bass AND a lead at the same time, and you could layer each AN voice with up to three AMW2 voices.

It had two different types of sequencers. Sound familiar?

It had a monophonic VL synth engine, which you could also layer with up to three AWM2 voices.

It had a basic sampler, compatible with the Akai library and expandable via SIMMS to 64mb.

It had a 16 voice synth effect engine, applicable per each individual note

Even today, that's an attractive set of features...
                  the poster formerly known as TrancedelicBlues

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                    View Post

So I called the reviewer and told him the feature was in there all along, and was described very thoroughly in the manual. To which he said "Well, I didn't read the whole manual..."

This is a lesson I've learned the hard way, believe me. What I usually do, and have done for a number of years, is ask polite questions of the manufacturer. If I'm reviewing a product and it seems not to have an important feature, I email the manufacturer and say something like, "I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. Can you tell me how to XYZ?"

On one occasion (and this was many years ago), I had a manufacturer rep insist that their software DID have a certain feature, when I knew perfectly well it didn't. I had to explain what I was trying to do three times before he admitted, "No, it won't do that." He was being optimistic about his product to the point of deliberately misunderstanding what I was saying, or interpreting what I was saying in the most positive possible light. So you do have to be careful when reviewing, even if you're checking your facts with the manufacturer as you go along. They will sometimes spin their responses.

Comment

• NEW USER:

After doing a fair amount of research and reading this review pretty much from the beginning, I've made the plunge and am picking up a P1 tonight. My experience is almost totally guitar based but due to some physical issues I'm switching to more keyboard playing so I'm a little concerned about picking up on all the nuances of a synthesizer but would like to commend all of the posters to this thread for some very helpful information.

One thing I'm still very confused on is the software piece. I've seen a lot of references in this thread to Ableton, Cakewalk, Sonar and such. Is there one that is more compatible with this model than others? More user, or novice, friendly?

Again, I appreciate all of the good information and look forward to learning more.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by midiguru23
                        View Post

This is a lesson I've learned the hard way, believe me. What I usually do, and have done for a number of years, is ask polite questions of the manufacturer. If I'm reviewing a product and it seems not to have an important feature, I email the manufacturer and say something like, "I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. Can you tell me how to XYZ?"

While I don't divulge personal information on here without permission, I will say that the person who wrote this is one of the best reviewers our industry has seen. Feel free to chime in any time!!
                        The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jdc513
                          View Post

One thing I'm still very confused on is the software piece. I've seen a lot of references in this thread to Ableton, Cakewalk, Sonar and such. Is there one that is more compatible with this model than others? More user, or novice, friendly?

Again, I appreciate all of the good information and look forward to learning more.

Welcome to the forum! Any modern DAW will work with the XW-P1 as long as your computer has a USB interface (required to communicate with the XW-P1).

As to which one to choose, some of that will depend on your computer - for example, at the moment Sonar is available only for Windows, and Digital Performer only for the Mac. It's also very subjective: Ableton Live (which works on either platform) seems impossibly weird for some people, while others think its the most logical DAW on the planet.

Fortunately, trial versions are available for most DAWs including Ableton Live, Cakewalk Sonar, Acoustica Mixcraft, PreSonus Studio One Pro, Propellerhead Software Reason, etc. Check them out, and see which one "feels" best to you.
                          The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

• Wow, what a letdown. Picked it up at GC, went home, hooked everything up, pressed power, display flashed once and nothing. Changed outlets, changed power strips, pressed power button harder as instructed by user guide....nothing. I guess stuff like this can happen but very disappointing.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jdc513
                              View Post

Wow, what a letdown. Picked it up at GC, went home, hooked everything up, pressed power, display flashed once and nothing. Changed outlets, changed power strips, pressed power button harder as instructed by user guide....nothing. I guess stuff like this can happen but very disappointing.

Aww man, that's a bummer. Yes, I can testify that this kind of thing can happen but this is the first report we've had of a DOA XW-P1. The most common failure mode for electronics gear these days is infant mortality (within 48 hours), or it could be something like a connector coming loose internally (aka "the UPS shake test"). Just exchange it - the odds of getting two bad puppies in a row is pretty astronomical.

Comment

• Yeah....like they say.....s##t happens...Just annoying. And it's the second time on a piece of equipment from GC!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X