How beautiful is this production and orchestration?

rasputin1963

• Members

This 1972 record is, for me, one of the most stunning pre-digital pop/rock productions I know of. It just sounds... amazing. The true stereo signals, the amazingly deft and subtle mixing, the gorgeous vocal and orchestral arrangement, the exquisite reverb, perfect compression solution, gorgeous EQ applied to the rhythm guitars...... By 1972, they managed to create a record that sounds light-years away from the 1960's.

What say you?

• Members

Ras,

The sound of the production sounds great. Stylistically it's in a niche I'm not real fond of.

Belatedly, I want to mention that the soundtrack from "Le Foto Probite" by Ennio Morricone is great. Thanks for posting it. I'm into a 3rd listen. I became hooked by the first track. Its 12 tone chromatic descending melody with the quirky rhythmic hook caught my ear. Then listening to the whole soundtrack, there were times it sounded like go-go-party music from a Pink Panther movie. But then again. at around 24 1/2 minutes in he begins what could be (to my uninitiated ears) at times, a long stretch of music by Stockhausen or Ligetti (from the 2001 soundtrack). I think maybe the juxtaposition - following the go-go music makes this more palatable. I'd order the CD but on amazon it's over $50.

Then I became aware that Morricone did the spaghetti western soundtracks. And "Once Upon A Time In The West" was on TV. I just couldn't get past the cheesy feeling I got watching/listening to the dubbed dialog.

I may have violated some sort of etiquette here, but I wanted to tell you this.

• Members

Ras -- I heard this and couldn't help but think of you, production-wise.

[video=youtube;-OBKkmXgXJU]

Also not a style I'm all that attuned to, but, nonetheless, by the end I find singing along to be irresistible.

Of course, I'm into competitive falsetto...

PS... potential alternate title: It's a Rainy Christmas Night in Georgia. [Which is a great song transcending time, space, and stylistic barriers.]

Archived