Hi. I'm from Open Jam...

therealomar

• Members

This forum is the local watering hole, where friends get together to talk about life in general, with the exception of politics! This is the place to tell us about your new baby, new job, new girlfriend, maybe even ask a question about music. Not much flaming in here, it's pretty laid back and friendly. Come get to know us, there are some very talented and knowledgeable people here!

• Members

We talk about telescopes here too. Did you know that if you look down the wrong end of a telescope time goes backwards? It does this by making things look farther away than they really are. They're not really that far away but this can be explained by the fact that it would take a lot longer to get to them on a bus or whatever if they were. But the fact that they are really much closer means that it would take less time to get there.

I hope this simple formula I have derived can help elucidate:

T = d1 - d2, where T = time in minutes, d1 is the actual distance to the great celestial object way up yonder in the sky and d2 is the distance as percieved when looking down the wrong end of the telescope. Here is an example:

d1 = 1,000,000 km

d2 = 2,000,000 km

therefore T = d1 - d2

= 1,000,000 - 2,000,000

= - 1,000,000 minutes

As T is expressed as a minus quantity, time must have gone backwards.

Q.E.D.

Addendum: I often use this method to get cheap drink at the pub. If I bring my telescope and make time go backwards it is sometimes possible to get whiskey at 1963 prices.

• Members

Now if I ask an aborigine to make a didgeridoo with two mouthpieces.,...

Would that be a twodgeridoo? and one with three mouthpieces,...would that be a threedgeridoo?

What if I seal the other end of so it'll make no sound,...

Whould they call it a didgeridon't then?

Okay I won't go any further I had this discussion once and we ended up inventing bonggeridoos,....

• Members

For fun, we engage in wild sex (preferably with multiple partners), take prodigious amounts of drugs, participate in various extreme sports, and watch a lot of movies.

After all that, it's really nice to be able to come here and just relax :)

Feel free to stop by any time -- if there's no one home, don't worry, we're just out doing one or more of the above activities and we'll be back soon. Well, after we regain consciousness.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

For fun, we engage in wild sex (preferably with multiple partners), take prodigious amounts of drugs, participate in various extreme sports, and watch a lot of movies.

I hardly watch any movies...

• Members

Originally posted by Fendercaster

This forum is the local watering hole, where friends get together to talk about life in general, with the exception of politics! This is the place to tell us about your new baby, new job, new girlfriend, maybe even ask a question about music. Not much flaming in here, it's pretty laid back and friendly. Come get to know us, there are some very talented and knowledgeable people here!

Just cos we're more laid back doesn't mean we're intelligent. We're abunch of idiots.

• Members

posted by myshkin:

Just cos we're more laid back doesn't mean we're intelligent. We're abunch of idiots

I'm sorry if my statement implied intelligence. I meant to infer that the people here are very knowledgeable about stupid stuff. And being talented doesn't necessarily imply intelligence, I myself am extremely talented at nothing!

• Members

Originally posted by Fendercaster

posted by myshkin:

I'm sorry if my statement implied intelligence. I meant to infer that the people here are very knowledgeable about stupid stuff. And being talented doesn't necessarily imply intelligence, I myself am extremely talented at nothing!

Just joking. This is certainly the place where one is most likely to come across signs of inteligence amongst these forums methinks.

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

We talk about telescopes here too. Did you know that if you look down the wrong end of a telescope time goes backwards?

Holy smokes! I didn't know that! I always just used telescopes to catch elephants. Y'know, you take a pop bottle and a tweezer, look at the elephant backward through the telescope, pick it up with the tweezers and drop it into the bottle...

Archived