Brilliant Production - Appalling Hit

felix

• Members

I can separate a good song and good playing from bad production; I have a much harder time separating the other way. But it's safe to say that I'm contantly surrounded by exqsuistiely produced (and performed) music that, imho, sucks. Not even "sucks," because theat implies that it engages me enough to make me hate it. Something worse than sucks.

I have a particular peeve (and I feel I'm virtually alone in this) for boutique roots music, like some of Cheryl Crow's stuff, where you can just hear the big ticket "authentic vintage" vibe pouring out the speakers, courtesy of a well-financed fetishistic fervor for the "authentic." "Authentic" as a style. Yuck. It comes from the same place as pre-ripped jeans.

• Moderators

I thought the couple of hits by that band Vertical Horizon had that great production / weak song thing going on. I remember hearing their first hit a couple of years ago in the car and getting very excited. Tempo gated rhythm guitars simulating a tremolo vibe, but with huge drums and high quality acoustic stumming. I liked it. Then I started hearing it a lot and the weakness of the song itself became clear.

All style... no substance.

All chocolate sauce and no ice cream

All gravy and no tenderlion

• Members

Originally posted by 2manband

I don't know where to start with this thead - There's a dizzying array of well polished turds out there.

Actually, I'd say that most music on the radio and the Billboard charts falls into this category.

What 2man said.

Songs are songs, y'know...one man's meat is another man's poison. There's a person out there for every song. I think there are a lot of weak songs on the radio. GAWD, I don't know how slickly produced it was, but there was one song by the Beastie Boys that was like "Geez...my 6 year old nephew could do better than this"...it was just stupid. And that weird elecropop dance "Venga" music was dumber than a bag of nails. And it was huge with teenyboppers, 'cuz you could dance to it.

Archived